Internet stops working intermittently on desktop

I have recently bought a TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router and I am facing a unique issue.

Internet stops working intermittently on my desktop, which is connected through LAN to my router. I can ping the router and I can access router’s admin page. Internet on WiFi connected devices keeps working. I can ping various websites through my router’s admin page. However, I can neither open any site nor ping any IP/Domain beyond local network.

Restarting my computer and router resolves this issue.

I have changed LAN cable as well as LAN port on the router, however, the issue persists.

I am using Windows 10 with Windows Defender and Malwarebyte.

When the outage occurs, can you ping internet sites from YOUR desktop? You mention you can ping them from the router interface, which makes sense if Wifi devices still work.

When the outage occurs try pinging a few sites by hostname such as
Code:
ping google.com
as well as a few IP addresses out on the internet. A few to try are some DNS servers such as 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8.
Code:
ping 4.2.2.2
. Also ping a site like yahoo.com or google.com and get their public IP address (it may be one of MANY) and try pinging that as well.

Basically if you can ping things on the internet by IP address but not hostname you have a DNS issue. If you can ping neither it is something else with your PC.

I had a similar issue when I got a new router. Try updating the network card driver.

When the outage occurs, can you ping internet sites from YOUR desktop? You mention you can ping them from the router interface, which makes sense if Wifi devices still work.

When the outage occurs try pinging a few sites by hostname such as
Code:
ping google.com
as well as a few IP addresses out on the internet. A few to try are some DNS servers such as 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8.
Code:
ping 4.2.2.2
. Also ping a site like yahoo.com or google.com and get their public IP address (it may be one of MANY) and try pinging that as well.

Basically if you can ping things on the internet by IP address but not hostname you have a DNS issue. If you can ping neither it is something else with your PC.
Tried to ping IP address, but couldn't do that either. I guess it is time to install a different internet security program and see how it goes.

One thing I have noticed is that this generally happens when I am streaming something from Amazon Prime or YouTube.

I had a similar issue when I got a new router. Try updating the network card driver.
Did that, and it didn't work.

Try resetiing the TCP/IP stack on that computer.

Open up an administrative command prompt and type this command and then hit return and then reboot.

netsh int ip reset

Installed Comodo Firewall to replace Windows' and also rebuilt TCP/IP stack, and it still stopped working. Once again while watching video.

Turns out the router was blocking my computer for DDoS while streaming videos, I guess due to a lot packets coming in!

Back