Internet stopped working after power outage... help

Hey guys,

the power went out for a couple of hours yesterday while I was at work and when I got home, the internet stopped working. The modem and router lights are all on and shows normal. I can connect to the router, but no internet connection. I tried connecting directly to the modem from my macbook and I still cannot get to the internet. I tried renewing the IP and flushing the DNS cache and still no luck. I also tried resetting the modem. Anyone have an idea what may be the problem? Thanks

Can you log into the modem and see what the signal is like? Most likely the modem got hit in the power outage, and even though all the lights show normal, the reality is that it is not ok.

Hey guys,

the power went out for a couple of hours yesterday while I was at work and when I got home, the internet stopped working. The modem and router lights are all on and shows normal. I can connect to the router, but no internet connection. I tried connecting directly to the modem from my macbook and I still cannot get to the internet. I tried renewing the IP and flushing the DNS cache and still no luck. I also tried resetting the modem. Anyone have an idea what may be the problem? Thanks

You in the northeast? We had some nasty storms here yesterday. My power was also out for about 4hrs :(

Lights on the modem all look good? Assuming you have a cable modem does this mean a power light, down stream, up stream, online and pc activity light?
Also all the lights on the router look normal?
If so, first, unplug modem and router. Boot modem first, wait for lights to settle, then plug back in router and wait a couple minutes.
If that doesn't work then reset the router and set it back up.

Regarding plugging directly in to the modem, did you power cycle the modem before plugging something new into it? Did you unplug power to your wireless router, so your Macbook wasnt tryign to join your wireless network, which has no path to the internet. I've seen this happen and a wireless connection tends to supercede a wired connection.

Can you log into the modem and see what the signal is like? Most likely the modem got hit in the power outage, and even though all the lights show normal, the reality is that it is not ok.

I have not tried to log into the modem yet. I will give it a shot

Lights on the modem all look good? Assuming you have a cable modem does this mean a power light, down stream, up stream, online and pc activity light?
Also all the lights on the router look normal?
If so, first, unplug modem and router. Boot modem first, wait for lights to settle, then plug back in router and wait a couple minutes.
If that doesn't work then reset the router and set it back up.

Regarding plugging directly in to the modem, did you power cycle the modem before plugging something new into it? Did you unplug power to your wireless router, so your Macbook wasnt tryign to join your wireless network, which has no path to the internet. I've seen this happen and a wireless connection tends to supercede a wired connection.

Yes, all lights show green. The router looks good too. I logged into the router and did a reset.

I did power cycle the modem first before plugging in to the macbook. I also turned off wireless.

I will research more when I get home. Keep the help coming! Thanks guys ;)

Yes, all lights show green. The router looks good too. I logged into the router and did a reset.

I did power cycle the modem first before plugging in to the macbook. I also turned off wireless.

I will research more when I get home. Keep the help coming! Thanks guys ;)

Call your ISP and see what they say about it. There device. Should be able to tell you in minutes....

Back