Internet Speed Question... After Tests

mpic92

Limp Gawd
I went to speedtest.net to measure my internet connection.

When wired to my router through an Ethernet cable, I got a 14000 KB/s download time. 731 kb/s was my upload.

When wireless, I 6641 kb/s download and 723 Upload.

First of all, do these sound about where they should be for high speed internet? And also, when using the internet, is all of this used or is there a limit of what you can do online?

the difference in speed with your WiFi could be attributed to the over head of using wireless. What speed is your wireless router and what kidn of connection do you have?

I know using WPA with my wireless kills my d/l speed so I use WEP instead and its fine.

There is definately a limit to the speed you can do things online, and this limit depends on the hosting of the website you are trying to access and the location of the server compared to your computer.

If the website you're downloading from is hosted by a T1 line, the maximum speed you will see is around 150 KB/sec if you're the only one using it. The website simply can't provide information any faster than this, so your connection isn't fully utilized.

If the website you're trying to access is located on the other side of the world, the speed of light becomes an issue (because of how TCP/IP works), and your per connection transfer speeds are limited to around 350 KB/sec. That's about the most I can get per datastream out of my server in Japan that is on a fiber network when getting things in the US...

The only real way to saturate your bandwidth is to either download from servers that are really close to where you are geographically, or pull data across multiple streams. Otherwise latency and how it affects TCP/IP will limit your speeds...

Back