Internet speed cut in half

SphincterBoy

Limp Gawd
When I measure download speeds various ways I get widely different measurements:

1. PC plugged directly into the modem via ethernet - Speedtest shows +200 Mbps
2. Netgear Nighthawk app measuring what the router (R7000) processes - Speedtest shows +200 Mbps
3. PC plugged directly into the router via ethernet - Speedtest shows ~100 Mbps

The ethernet cable is CAT 5 and I swapped it for a CAT 5E without an improvement. Any thoughts on why my speed is cut in half from the router to the PC?

Ethernet ports on the router faulty and stuck at 100mps?

Maybe try a different router just to see what happens.

Don't overlook the possibility that the PC and router are having issues negotiating a 1000mbs link and defaulting back to 100mbs link. Might make sure both PC and router are on the latest firmware/driver set. Test with a 2nd PC or laptop.

Turn off all the random crap "features" the router has. The USB storage thing, Quality of Service, VPN, guest network, parental controls, "Netgear Armor" / antivirus, FTP server. Then test speed again.

Update: I found in the Netgear forums that newer firmware versions have been causing problems, so I did a reset and flashed an older version of the firmware that was known to be stable. I'm now getting the full speed through to my PC.

Update: I found in the Netgear forums that newer firmware versions have been causing problems, so I did a reset and flashed an older version of the firmware that was known to be stable. I'm now getting the full speed through to my PC.
Looks like a replacement is in order then. Home router firmware upgrades generally don't come unless there's a significant operational or security issue.

had a similar problem, first thought that it's my VPN, then guys on Nord's subreddit told me that it's not. Essentially the problem was my router, it was an older one, so the support for it has been "suspended indefinitely" bought a new one from Netgear, updated to the latest version and what do you know, the same thing. Nice that I found this, fixed it quickly <3

^ had been playing the yearly or every other year upgrade game and even the pricier asus and comprable routers would start giving myself and my wife issues after a short year or two
Bought a unifi ap in 2017 with the 4x4 mu-mimo, no issues since, picked up a USG a couple of months later too.

About the only one I 'regret' is the switch, I got one of the 24 port ones and while nice that its managed I just don't use any of the features that come with it.
It was basically $150 more to get a managed switch when I'm using it as a L2.

Back