Internet speed baffling me at our business network

transam02

Weaksauce
At my work place there is a internet speed question that has baffled me for the past several days now. What I am wanting to know is how can when I check the speed at speakeasy.net it comes in at 687 kbps and uploads at 437 kbps. Now anytime and on any computer mind you it always downloads at 80-85 KB/sec. This speed is the same at anything I download from any website it just stays right around there. It also should be noted that it usually starts out at around 150KB/sec and then goes down to the 80-85KB/sec. Now I am not all that familiar with the kbps or KB/sec if they are the same thing or different. I am just wanting to know some input on this that way I know if there is some problems with our network setup up here or what. The dsl runs thru the modem to a D-Link 704p to a KTI 10/100 SOHO Switch. The bandwidth is not much at 1.5Mbps is what the speed is thru our phone company. I am just wondering what can be done cause I have the 3.0Mbps at my home personally and it runs around 315KB/ sec. Now I understand that my speed at home is considerable amount faster but not at 3 times faster on downloads or is that about right on that speed or am I like I said earlier is there some problems within the network setup that should be addressed. Now keep in mind there is only 5 workstations on this network and one server and also one printer. If anyone has anymore questions about this that could further help me in figuring this out dont hesitate to ask. Thanks

First thought, is are you using the closest speakeasy mirror to you, and I mean closest by way of the Internet, you can trace route the data and see where you ISP/ISPs connect to the Internet, ie where the traffic comes out on the Internet, often with large ISPs, they route it a different path then you would think, also what DSL modem are you using and it is on its own line, and what type of DSL is it?? ie ADSL, SDSL, etc......

687 divided by 8 equals roughly 85...so you're settled download rates are dead on what Speakeasy is telling you.

At home...if you have a 3 meg connection, and you download at around 315...you'd probably benchmark at Speakeasy around 2500-2600.

All things seem right. Online speeds are benchmarked differently (kbps) than transfer speeds (KB/s) 8 bits to 1 byte.

First thought, is are you using the closest speakeasy mirror to you, and I mean closest by way of the Internet, you can trace route the data and see where you ISP/ISPs connect to the Internet, ie where the traffic comes out on the Internet, often with large ISPs, they route it a different path then you would think, also what DSL modem are you using and it is on its own line, and what type of DSL is it?? ie ADSL, SDSL, etc......

Well on the speed test I used all of there servers and it they all came out to within about 50kbps from one another. I am using a dsl modem that was supplied by the phone company to run that bandwidth or at least that was what they was told. I am not sure on what type of dsl it is. Let me see if I can do some digging an come up with some more info on that.

687 divided by 8 equals roughly 85...so you're settled download rates are dead on what Speakeasy is telling you.

At home...if you have a 3 meg connection, and you download at around 315...you'd probably benchmark at Speakeasy around 2500-2600.

All things seem right. Online speeds are benchmarked differently (kbps) than transfer speeds (KB/s) 8 bits to 1 byte.

Ok thanks

Back