Internet Security Suite Recommendations?

SlimShady

[H]ard|Gawd
Its about that time i upgraded my internet security suite (AV, firewall, etc) as my subscription with mcafee is running out and i absolutely hate the amount of resources the thing takes up. ive been looking at some contenders (PC-Cillin, LiveOne Care, etc) but couldnt get a good feel for them by checking them out online.

any recommendations from you [H]'er's? i want something that isnt a resource hog and can be configured as necesary, dont need something that is overly simplified.

thanks!

Nealry all of the all-inclusive suites are resource intensive. If you want a snall footprint but a very good A/V i would go with NOD32 and NAT with Z/A as outgoing firewall protection. Out of the all-in-one suites i like F-Secure only ( i do use F-secure A/V).

Trend Micro IS2006 has been excellent - though it is resource-heavy.

Major improvement over IS2005 is outstanding monitoring of outbound connection attempts by apps. Frequent updates, except on weekends.

IS2006 (real time protection + manual scans) + Windows Defender (manual scans only) are all I use. No problems.

Hope this helps!

Stay away from Norton AV or Norton Internet security....it is decent protection, but after installing it every day at work on customer's PC's and getting to see a well performing computer turn to a thing slower then my 550mhz PC is just ridicilous. Also add in the weekly updates, annoying pop ups and alerts that the average PC user would find confusing, it's not worth the money.

Personally I use AVG Free anti virus, with Windows Defender, and then Webroot SpySweper....then I use either Opera or Firefox, with IE only as a last resort, plus I like the Yahoo toolbar with Anti-Spy (for IE)....Then Thunderbird as email client.....

Back