Internet security and anti-virus?

Moose777

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a really good program to use. I've been using Norton Internet Security 2005 and my subscription just ran out and I don't feel like buying it again, it's too friggin' expensive.

I am currently using the 15 day trial of Norton Internet Security 2006 but again, they want around $70 for a year subscription. I just can't see spending that on an anti-virus program.

What is everyone using?

Zone Alarm, it's free and I trust it more than NIS.
AVG anti-virus is free as well. I don't use it, but I hear good things about it.

Free > $70

i'll second the vote for avg + zone alarm.

my own $0.02 ...
a few years ago, i would've voted for norton + zone alarm. however, the newer versions of norton seem to be shifting toward the realm of "bloatware". also, the norton software only seems to get updated on average about once a week (i remember in 2002-2003 getting an update on average every 2 days).
from what i've seen, the "bloatware" concept also seems to be affecting the symantec corporate a.v. software as well, i'd say everything from 2004 and newer.

avast! + router + SP2 firewall (if you have more then one windows machine in your network).

I've always strongly disliked installing NIS for anyone, I had to set it up for a customer the other week because they had already purchased it and hadn't installed it...

Suprise Suprise, NIS is detecting her print server as an intruder and blocks it completely, so she couldn't print at all....

Ok, I'm looking at that AVG program and notice they have a few of them available. Which one is the best one to get?

I'll probably DL ZoneAlarm as well and when I have more time to read it I'll be reading that other thread posted by Ice Czar thoroughly (sp?).

Thanks for the help. And I do agree that NIS has become Bloatware. That and their 90 day or 15 day trials are annoying. Not to mention their prices suck too.

Thanks, DLing now. I noticed too it gives you an option to upgrade to the retail version.

give tiny personal firewall a try. might take a few months to set it up, but the security is worth it. :)

Well I uninstalled NIS. And installed AVG today. NIS was screwing everything up. It disabled the internet completely after a few minutes of surfing the 'net. It stopped all Pop-Ups even the ones I allowed and I couldn't find any way around it.

For now I'm using the Windows Firewall. I know it sucks but I vaguely remember havin bizzare issues with it at one point in time.

I'll see how it goes with AVG.

Back