Internet Prolem

MDSarcasm

Weaksauce
Im not exactly sure where this goes, because Im not exactly sure whats causing the problem, but anyways...

Whenever I play a video game, for example, CoD2, I will get ~2 second hangups with "connection inturruped" accross the screen and the lag-o-meter will go to full. Basically I just have no conection...

I have the computer in my sig and what puzzles me is that me and my brother have the EXACT same PCI wireless adapter going to the same router and he doesnt get the problems. I just upgraded from 1gb of generic RAM to 2gigs of patriot ddr500. The weird thing is that it cant be my system doing a hangup because, in BF2, the vehicles keep mocing in the path they were going, only to appear somewhere else when it goes back to normal...

I need help guys, this is why I came here, Ill be willing to answer any questions...but I need to get this fixed!!!

Do you get the same pausing problem when you play single player games, ie with no network requirements?

Chernobyl1 said:
Do you get the same pausing problem when you play single player games, ie with no network requirements?

Yeah, and the problem doesn't happen in single player, just when connecting to the internet...

ryan_975 said:
Have you tried a wired connection to the router to see if the problem disappears?

The router is all the way across the house, but I could try that tomorrow...The only thing is, my brother has the same adapter as me, so that shouldn't be the problem...

MDSarcasm said:
Yeah, and the problem doesn't happen in single player, just when connecting to the internet...

The router is all the way across the house, but I could try that tomorrow...The only thing is, my brother has the same adapter as me, so that shouldn't be the problem...

Shouldn't be, no. But no two pieces of hardware are the same, even though they're the sae model.

ryan_975 said:
Shouldn't be, no. But no two pieces of hardware are the same, even though they're the sae model.

I doubt its just that piece of hardware...but it could be

again, I bought 2 of the exact same model at Frys on the same day, the boxes were next to each other. It woud be weird if one of them was broken...

Ill try to get to plugging it in today, (fleet week :D )

MDSarcasm said:
I doubt its just that piece of hardware...but it could be

again, I bought 2 of the exact same model at Frys on the same day, the boxes were next to each other. It woud be weird if one of them was broken...

Ill try to get to plugging it in today, (fleet week :D )

Not as uncommon as you'd think. I bought a dual channel set of RAM a while back. (two sticks) One stick will overclock to 250MHz, the other won't get over 236MHz. They have identical chips, and the SPD info is the same as well.

One thing that just hit me. How far away is the router from your computer compared to your borthers. You may be in a blind spot, or your brother's computer may be causing interference with yours. Try shutting his completely down and see if you have the same problem. If you do, try moving your computer around in different places to see if your getting a weak signal.

OK, I just connected it to the router by LAN, and it was fine. I had to DL the drivers b/c I hadnt done it before, but I doubt that will have any affect.

I also turned my brothers comp off and went next to the router and it still haad the problem (while wireless)

I think it may be faulty, next step is to take my brothers out of his computer and test it on mine... :(

MDSarcasm said:
OK, I just connected it to the router by LAN, and it was fine. I had to DL the drivers b/c I hadnt done it before, but I doubt that will have any affect.

I also turned my brothers comp off and went next to the router and it still haad the problem (while wireless)

I think it may be faulty, next step is to take my brothers out of his computer and test it on mine... :(

Do you and your brother have identical hardware in your computers (other than the wireless card)?

ryan_975 said:
Do you and your brother have identical hardware in your computers (other than the wireless card)?

NO

My computer is in sig

Brothers computer:
AMD 3500+
1gig gen. RAM
Asrock ( I think) mobo
160 seagate
7600GT

MDSarcasm said:
NO

My computer is in sig

Brothers computer:
AMD 3500+
1gig gen. RAM
Asrock ( I think) mobo
160 seagate
7600GT

What about components like PCI cards? Any creative sound cards, tv tuners?

A couple of things worth a look.

There may be a device that emits radiation at around the frequency your wireless runs at causing a drop out somewhere between or near the transmitters/receivers.
ie a device being switched on.
The further you are away from the transmitter, the stronger the effect a local disturbance will have.
Can you place all your computer kit next to the computer that works to see if the problem goes away?

Are you running a software firewall?
I received an update to my firewall a short while ago that caused my gaming to have slight stutters every so often.
Try disabling it to see if it has an effect.
Its possible that any software could do the same so it may be worth killing all unnecessary processes to see the effect.

Chernobyl1 said:
A couple of things worth a look.

There may be a device that emits radiation at around the frequency your wireless runs at causing a drop out somewhere between or near the transmitters/receivers.
ie a device being switched on.
The further you are away from the transmitter, the stronger the effect a local disturbance will have.
Can you place all your computer kit next to the computer that works to see if the problem goes away?

Are you running a software firewall?
I received an update to my firewall a short while ago that caused my gaming to have slight stutters every so often.
Try disabling it to see if it has an effect.
Its possible that any software could do the same so it may be worth killing all unnecessary processes to see the effect.

I tried all of those, and it still doesnt work.

I also tried my brothers adapter on it and same problem. And then I tried an old WUSB11 v2.8 USB Wireless - B adapter and, even though th problem persists, the hangups are at further intervals and arent for as long...

Can you try the network adapter in a different PCI slot?
If you are running a software firewall, can you disable it and see if the problem persists?

^^ Didnt help...

I really need help with this, Im thinking of doing a windows recovery....

Make sure you have the latest version of DX9 installed and the latest Driver for your network adapter

It might be worth trying setting the network card up to optimise for throughput rather than CPU.
In control panel goto Network Connections.
right click the network adapter/properties
click configure
advanced tab - find Optimise For and change to Throughput.

If that fails maybe some other security software is interfering with normal operation.
Can you list the security software you use?
If you'd prefer not to list them, try disabling them.
Try to have a firewall with at least NAT active (ie a hardware router/modem firewall)

Compare what you have installed on your PC compared to the other PC that works and try removing software the other machine doesnt have.

Back