Internet problems with a new XP install

Jr. Woodchuck

Limp Gawd
A co-worker of mine had a Joe Shmo type work on his computer, and installed pirated software. We all have probably a history involveing the stuff, but this guy pirated it and sold it to him as his buisness. With that said, the co-worker was having problems with his computer and I took a look at it. The problem specifically was that he couldn't browse websites. Sometimes a webpage will half load, but most of the time "no page can be displayed" is the error message received.

Him and I talked about our options and it was decided to format reinstall the computer, there were all sorts of spyware, viruses and what was believed to be O/S corruption. He purchased a valid XP cd and tonight I installed it.

Now i'm no slouch I know what i'm doing <this comment will probably come back to bite me!> ;) His computer, directly after the install is having the internet problems it did before. The best I can do is get a half page load on googles website. He is running a 800mhz duron with 256mb of ram. I realize this is an old computer, and perhaps not the ideal setup, but it should be at least able to browse the web.

After doing a complete format re-install I can only assume that there is a hardware problem. I've baselined the system pulling out all unecesarry hardware and still exhibt the problem.

...anyone ever have this problem? Also can anyone suggest a good Hardware Diagnostics. I'd like to run it thru some tests to see if perhaps I have a bad proc or memory.

Are you using an onboard NIC card ?

If you answerd yes then try to install an pci NIC card from a working computer, maybe your computer, and see if that does it. Or have him return his modem for a newer one, that might do it.

Also, did you add software before tried to get on the internet after the reinstall ?

Jr. Woodchuck said:
A co-worker of mine had a Joe Shmo type work on his computer, and installed pirated software. We all have probably a history involveing the stuff, but this guy pirated it and sold it to him as his buisness.
Please, oh please, report this guy.

J32P2006 said:
Are you using an onboard NIC card ?

If you answerd yes then try to install an pci NIC card from a working computer, maybe your computer, and see if that does it. Or have him return his modem for a newer one, that might do it.

Also, did you add software before tried to get on the internet after the reinstall ?

I did not add any software, and the nic is a pci card. However I do have a spare nic and will give that a try and see what happens.

Update: It was a bad nic. Sometimes the most obvious answers are the hardest to come up with. Thanks for leading me down the right path.

Lethal said:
Please, oh please, report this guy.
I couldn't agree more. Not that it's right in the first place, but turning around and selling it to another business takes pirating to new lows.

Back