Internet Problems Help!!

midas06

n00b
Whenever I use the Internet these days, whether for gaming or general surfing, there's a period at least once an hour when it just completely cuts out and stops working. This is seriously annoying, especially when I'm gaming.

I'm 90% sure it's due to my ISP, but is there anything I could be doing wrong on my end that's messing it up? This only started 3 days ago.

I'm running a desktop connected through a wireless router, it's not the wireless strength, as it's very good to excellent all the time. It's not my computer, as the same things happen when I use a laptop on the network, and I've reset the modem and checked the wires numerous times between the modem and the router.

Help please!

might want to check the dhcp setting on your router, make sure the lease time is no an hour or something like that

bypass your router and plug your computer directly into the modem.

you didn't give any information about what type of internet access you have. wireless, cable, dsl, etc.

I've bypassed it before and the same problems still apply.

It's an ADSL connection to a D-Link router.

most dsl problems are caused by wiring/filter issues. When your DSL stops working does it lose sync? There will usually be a status light on the modem to indicate sync on the phone line side. Try clearing the line of all telephones and phone-like devices.

If the modem loses sync try clearing the line first. If that still doesn't fix it try plugging your modem directly into the test jack in your NID. This will bypass your home's internal wiring. If you have a problem from the test jack in your phone box on the outside of the building then it's probably something wrong with the phone company's equipment. In which case....you'd wanna contact your ISP.

Back