• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Internet not working on networked computer?

tim0chen

n00b
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
50
Ok, so this is probably an extremely newbie problem but it's really getting on my nerves:

On my primary computer (desktop), the internet works fine, but on my laptop, I can't connect to the internet even though I can access folders from my desktop on it (so the network is certainly functional). The internet on my laptop works when I connect to other networks, so this must be a problem with my network and not my laptop.

In the past, this wasn't a problem, but I don't remember changing anything so I don't see why it all of a sudden stopped working. It seems like there should be a really simple solution to this (ie click a checkbox to allow shared internet), but I can't find it so this is really frustrating.

If it helps, I use a D-Link DGL-4300 router. Of course, I'd be happy to provide other info if necessary.

Any input here would be much appreciated - thanks in advance!
 
Ok, so this is probably an extremely newbie problem but it's really getting on my nerves:

On my primary computer (desktop), the internet works fine, but on my laptop, I can't connect to the internet even though I can access folders from my desktop on it (so the network is certainly functional). The internet on my laptop works when I connect to other networks, so this must be a problem with my network and not my laptop.

In the past, this wasn't a problem, but I don't remember changing anything so I don't see why it all of a sudden stopped working. It seems like there should be a really simple solution to this (ie click a checkbox to allow shared internet), but I can't find it so this is really frustrating.

If it helps, I use a D-Link DGL-4300 router. Of course, I'd be happy to provide other info if necessary.

Any input here would be much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Need more info.

Is Norton Internet Secuirty installed or any norton product?

Is there some other security suite installed?

Can you ping URLS or IPs from the command prompt?
 
Wow, I just fired up my laptop to answer those questions... and guess what, the internet works now without my changing anything. That's weird because I've tried on multiple occasions in the past month or so and it never worked.

But thanks anyway for taking the time to help :).
 
Have you recently done updates on the laptop?

I know on some updates (usually ones that have to do with network programs or wireless apps) require a reboot to start working again.

I spent 2+ hours trying to get my Macbook back online after updates when I found a tiny thread on some italian messagebaord stating reboots after updates are the issue with OSX.....lol.
 
Back
Top