Internet going extremely slow

Hey guys, I have DSL internet. It usually cruises along, at very high speeds, with never any rea lag. I can stream media, whatever.. usually... Up until yesterday though, for no reason, i was on bnet and noticed my PING to be 1500!!!!!!!!!! This cannot Be i said, so i turned it off, and restarted my computer. Still to no eval.. I checked my roomates computer, hes on the same hub as me, but his is normal, and fast. I have a really good computer but its like something has taken over my bandwidth and is sucking it all out. I run XP with all my udates, and even the latest spy removal software. I still dont know why, my internet just suddenly stops working right?! any suggestions?

mark

There are sooo many things that could be happening...

- Are other people using the same connection while you are gaming? That would slow it down becuase you only have a certain speed to spread around.

- Have you scanned for viruses, used multiple spyware scanners?

- Any hardware, software changes you've made recently?

- You could uninstall your network adapter in Windows and then reinstall it to make sure you haven't messed up those settings.

- Flush your DNS settings. Go to start > run > type "cmd" (w/o the qoutes)
From within that dos window type "ipconfig /flushdns" and this should make things somewhat faster depending on what your connection is.

Yea i am pretty computer savvy, i have all my gear in proper configeration. I released my IP, and re-called it. I am on my own DSL from the ISP. The connection is independant, as it is on a PPoE system, which requires a login. I login, and the prompt goes very very slow, normally when working you hit connect and in an instant it goes pop, connected, but now it hangs through the steps, taking seconds for verifying user name, registering on network, so on, and so on.

- Any hardware, software changes you've made recently?

I just recently installed a back-up drive RAID-0, SATA- E:\

I wonder if this has anything to do with the slow down.

I guess i should also check the lines around me as I do not know if static is the cause.

Also do the spyware check with Spybot and ad-aware (Google for them, free downloads)

Make sure your network cable is securely connected at both ends, and if you have another, try a new cable. It might sound dumb, but I had a problem with a computer at home running at less than dialup speeds because the RJ45 connector wasn't quite the right shape for the jacks in the NIC or the wall jack. It had been going along fine until one day it just turned to crap for no apparent reason. Unless it was held perfectly in place, it ran horribly.

Oh yeah, because the slats on the side with the contacts were too wide, it wouldn't click into the jack properly. It wouldn't go in that far, and kind of push out.

Im experiencing exactly the same problem as you Bilko, a sudden drop in speed that stays around and also it takes ages to connect. Somtimes when I restart it helps for a while but not long. I don't acctually have anything valuble to write, but its sure as hell in my intrest too keep this alive :(

same thing here, what isp are you with, i am using earthlink dsl right now and am experiencing slowdowns alot.

Yea, i go home now in a few minutes. I am going to try Spybot, already tried my ad-aware. I will turn off my modem, and try again makign sure connections are good. I will even re-install a different NIC. hopefully that'll do it. If not, im just gonna re-format anyway tonight. If that dont fix it i know its an external problem. I am with Sympatico, which is ummmm, on Canada's network.... Bell.. thats right., Bell..

So yea, its really weird, i havn't called my ISP because my friends computer works fine. But if it still is gay after re-format i know i will have to get service.

This happened after downloading a few things from torrents, and installing a new harddrive.. things which shoouldn't affect it..

Back