Internet Explorer starts with windows vista?

darkbelief

n00b
Howdy folks,

I do not use Internet Explorer unless i have to any more. However, after restarting or cold booting, it is running in task manager and can be shut down manually but i don't have a browser window open. Are there any programs that would do this or any known viruses for whom this is a symptom? I checked in the registry and in the startup folder on the start menu but it is not listed in either. Any ideas?

Mike

Is the entry under "explorer.exe" or "iexplore.exe"? If it is the former, then it is supposed to be running and has nothing to do with IE. If it is the latter, aside from a trojans, I don't know what could cause it to start on a cold boot.

Make sure you 'open all users' when checking the start up folder ... Your folder and the all users folder are different.

Also, if it's just listed as explorer.exe, it's not ie , like it was already pointed out.

Last thing, check your scheduled task, see if it's listed under that.

thanks for the replies. i'll take a look into those things and see what i find. it is definitely iexplorer.exe by the way.

As stated above, if you're seeing an "iexplorer.exe" then you might want to bust out an anti-virus program. :p

But, you might have a program in your startup that uses internet explorer. I don't use IE at all (it's not even on my desktop) but when Avira makes it's little ad pop-up (that's what you get for being cheap and having the free version) it opens it with IE (which reminds me to go set Firefox as my default browser...)

Back