Internet Explorer: Refresh Button hotkey?

garry26

Gawd
I know. I know. Stupidest question EVER, but Im living up to my sig.

Is there a refresh button hotkey?
Kind of like how I can hit the "R" key to "retry" refreshing some pages.

Edit:
Oh and if there's a hotkey, can I change it?

I don't believe you can change hotkeys :( It's F5 indeed.

On topic, there is no such stupid questions, only stupid peoples :)

and ctrl+f5 to force a refresh (avoiding caches etc.)

I've never seen a way to change it.

Thanks!
F5 it is! Cntrl+F5 doesnt "retry," but it doesnt matter. F5 is a comfortable key so I've no need to change it.

IanG said:
and ctrl+f5 to force a refresh (avoiding caches etc.)

I've never seen a way to change it.
avioding caches? how do i clear my cache anyway lol (wrong forum)
control f5 doesnt "retry" for me. If that's what youre saying its supposed to do.

garry26 said:
avioding caches? how do i clear my cache anyway lol (wrong forum)
control f5 doesnt "retry" for me. If that's what youre saying its supposed to do.
Tools - internet options - 'Delete Files' (under the Temp Int Files section.)
If you click settings in that section you can tell IE to 'check for new versions every visit' which should mean you don't need to do ctrl+f5. It's a habit for me though.

IanG said:
Tools - internet options - 'Delete Files' (under the Temp Int Files section.)
If you click settings in that section you can tell IE to 'check for new versions every visit' which should mean you don't need to do ctrl+f5. It's a habit for me though.
How exactly do I tell IE to "check for new version every visit"? Whats the path? Tools-?-?
Never mind I figured it out.

Now... for when I have multiple windows open... I figure there's a hotkey to switch from window to window yes?

garry26 said:
Now... for when I have multiple windows open... I figure there's a hotkey to switch from window to window yes?
"Alt+Tab" and "Alt+Shift+Tab" to alternate between windows. Why use windows when you can use tabs with "Cltr+Tab"?

You can also refresh pages with "Cltr+R".

Considering that tabbed browsers have been around for what, 6 years now (Opera was the first widespread one, then others followed suit), it's still amazing to me that so many people almost abhor tabs so much and seem quite content with multiple full blown windows all over the place.

/me shudders just thinking about being forced back into separate windows... ugh

Tabbed browsing ftw!!!

Anyway, F5 does a standard refresh of a page with IE. Control + F5 is supposed to force the browser to request everything fresh from the server (refresh/reload cycle) and not use any data from the IE cache when reloading it. Control + R, a holdout from Netscape days, does what appears to be a standard F5 refresh, but it could be doing a total refresh/reload cycle also.

Back