Internet Explorer Maintenance removed from Group Policy

Eiolon

Gawd
Moved our domain to Server 2012 R2 and noticed that Internet Explorer Maintenance, which allows me to push out a homepage to Internet Explorer, is missing.

After research it appears that installing Internet Explorer 10 removes this option from Group Policy. Unfortunately, Server 2012 comes with IE10 installed. Since I already had a custom homepage pushed out in Server 2003 it shows that I have the policy in effect in the editor, I just can't change the policy.

Is there any way for me to reset this portion of Group Policy without doing a GPO fix? I have tried Internet Explorer Administration Kit except Group Policy still overrides that.

What if you set the homepage through Users\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Disable changing home page settings ? Will that override it?

Also, Group Policy Preferences will work too. I use them all the time and it's quite frankly an enormous time saver.

You could also find the exact registry entries that are modified by that Maintenance setting and send out registry changes for it if the above two options don't work. Just bring up a fresh machine and find whatever the default is for IE at the level you run, set it through that, then send out the new homepage based on the information I gave you above.

You have to administrate GPO's from the client system that will parse them, so if you are working on Windows 7 GPO's you got to do it from a Windows 7 based OS.

They are not always backwards compatible.

However, IE has user preferences that should be able to set the homepage.

Back