Internet degradation

cmetropo

n00b
I recently put a new motherboard in the system got everything back up and running. Everything works fine but IE. My download rates are barely kb/sec and web pages load extremely slow. I tried disabling the firewall and it didnt change a thing. Looking for any advice possible.

My system:
ASROCK 939 Dual Sata
AMD 64 Venice 3200+
768 MB of RAM

Check your event logs to see if TCP/IP is having a problem. Also, check out the tcp/ip settings for the network adapter you are using. There might be an issue with some of the settings. You could also try reinstalling your network services if you wanted. I've had windows corrupt my tcp/ip before, so you never know.

you connect to the internet before or after you installed the service pack and all the outstanding hotfixes?

Do you have to load your Network adapter from a disc? I know I did with my Abit board. Just a thought.

I tried reinstalling the network driver that didnt change anything. My service pack download has been going for 3 days now. I went to a site to check my speed and it was something like 2.9KB/sec download and 42.9 KB/sec upload. Hope this helps.

Well, if you've been working on this for a couple days now, I'd suggest backing up your data files, and reinstalling the OS. A rule of thumb for me is that if I can't fix/find a solution to my problem, I'll just format and reinstall (obviously this doesn't apply to business machines, only personal). It saves a ton of headaches, and will fix all but the most persistent problems.

Also, you may want to check your system for malware. Check the sig and run some of those suites. It may fix your problem.

Oh yeah, have you tried a different browser?

I'm trying a new browswer now, just have to wait for firefox to finish downloading, with my speeds its goin to take awhile.

I honestly don't think you're going to see any improvement, but it's something that's worth looking into...hrm, you don't happen to use Norton, do you?

Norton could be causing the problem. Try removing it and using NOD32 and AVG instead. AVG is free. Check my sig for a link to some of the best software around, and replace Norton. :)

Ok I got rid of norton and my downloads still seem to be suffering. Not to sure what to do.

Well...:(

Make sure you put an AV suite on your comp before you forget. AVG is good.

WTH is going on with your connection...do you know if your ISP is experiencing issues? I remember back when my cable provider was updating their systems and dropping new lines I experienced some hardcore slow-down. At this point, I'm just throwing out some ideas, since nothing else has seemed to work. I'm really at a loss. :( If I can think of anything, I'll post. maybe someone else out there ahs some more ideas on how to fix this.

cmetropo said:
My service pack download has been going for 3 days now.

if you arent behind a hardware firewall you are totally screwed
time to infection from sasser, and MSBlaster is still something like 10 minutes for an unmasked install, not to mention other direct exploits
if that is the case you a part of someones bot net

my checklist

---------------------------------------------------------------
install Service Pack and hotfixes
generally I download & burn service packs from the enterprise download and any odd hotfixes with a secured computer, but if you can't:
How to Download Service Packs w\ Knoppix
close the vulnerable NetBIOS ports and cleanup bindings
Cofigure IPSec
Retrict access to LSA info

disable unecessary services

disable Guest account
setup my user account
rename Administrator account
create fake Administrator account (disabled)
enable network lockout of the true Administrator account

Limit the number of logon accounts

remove the "Everyone" group and replace with "Authenticated Users" shares
disable default hidden shares, administrative shares, IPC$

disable HTML in e-mail
disable ActiveX
disabling or limiting WHS\VB\Java\Java Scripts (install, Script Defender, noscript.exe)
rename shscrap.dll to shscrapold;
Unhide File extensions, protected files, all files and folders

Enable Encrypted File System
Encrypt the Temp Directory
setup to clear the paging file at shutdown
lockdown the registry

disable dumpfile creation
remove insecure subsystems (OS/2 and POSIX)

protect or remove: arp.exe \ at.exe \ cacls.exe \ cmd.exe \ Command.com \ cscript.exe \ debug.exe \ edit.com \ edlin.exe \ finger.exe \ ftp.exe \ pconfig.exe \ Issync.exe \ nbtstat.exe \ net.exe \ Net1.exe \ netstat.exe \ netsh.exe \ nslookup.exe \ ping.exe \ posix.exe \ qbasic.exe \ rcp.exe \ regedit.exe \ regedt32.exe \ regini.exe \ rexec.exe \ rsh.exe \ route.exe \ Runas.exe \ runonce.exe \ telnet.exe \ tftp.exe \ tracert.exe \ Tlntsvr.exe \ wscript.exe \ xcopy.exe
remove the .reg file association from the registry editor
these all make it much harder for someone that has already compromised your computer
if there is a brain behind the attack (a hack or trojan) then they would need to reenable these if they can, which might tip their hand, the same goes for an automated attack like a worm, if it could manage it at all, and many more minor peices of malware\spyware, rely on some of these for infection or more accurately reinfection like runonce.exe, regedit, ect or as the vector for infection in more serious malware like ftp or telnet

Install and schedual trojan scanner, anti virus and intrusion detection
Install and configure ProcessGuard <<<<<<!!!!!

Install Firefox with the noscript extention and Lockout access to Internet Explorer with NTFS Permissions to all accounts other than the Administrative Account (employ WindzUpdate for further hotfixes when on a user account)

configure security policy control
enable auditing (logon, object, privilege, account management, policy, system)
set permissions on the security event log
set account lockout policy
assign user rights
set security options
configure firewall
baseline with Rootreveler and HijackThis

>>>>>>>>> connect to the internet

Test
Run Baseline Security Analyzer (freeware)
Run NessusWX (freeware)
Do multiple remote Port Scans (not that this would protect you from Port Knocking

Software Install
install other software and baseline HijackThis & RootRevealer after each
Disable Restore Points (if XP) and Ghost the install

Its extremely rare any one box would get all of those
but I consider all of them

you would probably skip:
Cofigure IPSec
Retrict access to LSA info
Encrypt the Temp Directory
setup to clear the paging file at shutdown

limit your auditing and make careful notes of any lockdown or removal of files

use a power user account or even a user account, not an administrative account !!!!
this alone can limit the damage

Definetly check for viruses and spyware.

Download the trail version of NOD32 and run that.

i think all of the software replacement recommendations are getting away from the root problem. since network speed was not an issue before the mobo was replaced, but has surfaced only after the new mobo was installed, that hardware change should be the first to troubleshoot.

the network drivers were stated that they were loaded, but what about the mobo chipset software? also, if IDE hard drives are in use, are the IDE channels set for DMA or PIO mode?

possible, only considering its an unpatched system and he has provided no information on whether or not its behind a firewall.....

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2005/07/pr_uk_midyearroundup2005.html

In line with this substantial increase in virus writing, is the rapidly decreasing average time to infection. There is now a 50% chance of being infected by an internet worm in just 12 minutes of being online using an unprotected, unpatched Windows PC.

and since the internet connection is actually working, just slowly
I think ruling out infection would be the first order of business
hell securing the computer before it even goes online is the first order of business

personally Id start over

Heh, good advice Ice Czar. I'd start from scratch. This problem doesn't seem to want to be resolved, and it doesn't look like it's moving forward.

Back