internet craps out trying to download torrents

Gabe3

2[H]4U
The past two days my internet craps out trying to download torrents, it will download for a minute and then my internet goes out for all computers including mine. If I stop the torrent it takes about 3 minutes for the internet to come back on, all the router/modem lights are correct showing that I have internet while its out.

I've done the most obvious things like re-plugging the router and modem, restarting the computer. disabling firewall.

I think its maybe a temporary thing, maybe comcast is doing maintenance. 4 days ago or so bittorrent was working fine but MSN messenger was acting weird, my buddy sent 4 messages and 2 minutes later all 4 would come through at once.

Back to the internet out after using bit torrent. When its out I can still ping google.com

You could be flooding the state tables on the router? It can only handle so many connections, and bittorrent floods it like crazy.

I'm using a WRT54g v5 with latest firmware. I thought maybe using a custom firmware would help but I don't know where to start.

I just tried downloading and it kept downloading but the internet wouldn't work while bit torrent was going, a few minutes later the internet worked again once I closed bit torrent.

get a better router, flash router with tomato or dd-wrt see if that helps.

limit the conenection to torrent

I did a little more testing, it looks like only my computer looses internet. I can still ping while its out though.

Router being overwhelmed by insanely high amounts of concurrent connections from P2P software.

Regardless of if you get replies from a ping command or not.

along with ping I can also use the source server browser. i doubt its the router since other computers have normal internet, but they are wireless and mine is hard-wired. i guess it could be my onboard NIC.

I just checked my event viewer its this:

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts."

This should help you out-

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...-speed-by-disable-vista-auto-tuning-on-tcpip/

Its also buried in the FAQ for OS-

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1065219

Note, i haven't tried this in Vista myself, I use a box running XP to d-load/upload torrents 24/7

Hope this helps.

Edit, I may have linked the wrong page. All links can be found on the first one, but here is something more direct.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/...uto-patcher-to-increase-tcp-connection-limit/

Router is being congested...I had the same problem...I stopped using BitTorrent. But like posted above, trying Tomato or DD-WRT or maybe get a better router and then try the latter two and customize your connection setting in BT.

got a WRT54G myself v6 and i use p2p and i can have 5-15 (pending if i am at work or home tor going at once up and down and never does my Inet go out....

perhaps your ISP is filtering your connection, inserting empty packets causing a reset of your connection..

i just installed the tcpip auto patcher v2.2 and my problem is fixed, i have a limit of 50,000 half-open connections or something now instead of 10

That patcher says it disables UAC. Is that just to install it? I dont need to leave it off for it to work right?

EDIT: NM. Well it didnt solve my problem :(

get a better router, flash router with tomato or dd-wrt see if that helps.

limit the conenection to torrent

He doesn't need a better router, he just has to flash dd-wrt v24 micro stable and adjust the Maximum ports under Administration - Management - IP Filter Settings to the maximum 4096 ports, and it wont crap out. I had to do that on my WRT54G v5 and also my WRT54G v8 both running dd-wrt v24 micro stable when they were crapping out, and they have been fine since.

Back