Internet Connection works on a Linux partition, but not on a XP partition

Ninjabass

Weaksauce
I am having a some very strange networking issues. My ISP is Charter. We had the modem going into a hub going out to two computers. I thought the hub was actually a router, so I figured DHCP would take care of the multiple computers connected to the one cable connection. Only one computer could resolve an IP. Once I figured out it was a hub and not a router, it was as simple as getting a router and swapping them out.

One of the computers is dual-booting XP and Ubuntu, the other just XP. After hooking up the router, Ubuntu had no trouble connecting, nor did the computer running just XP. However, when I restart into XP on the dual-boot computer, it STILL can't resolve an IP. I can't even access the router's settings. Updated the network card's drivers, nothing. I may just reinstall XP, but I would rather not. Does anybody have any idea about what could be going on?

Does it work if you make it a static IP in Windows? (I'm not saying to do this and leave it, but it is a troubleshooting step)

So I should go into Ubuntu, copy down the IP address, gateway and such, go back into XP and load it manually?

Just set any IP address in the same subnet (and set the same subnet, probably 255.255.255.0)

Alrighty, went into the TCP/IP settings, set my own IP and everything, using information from the router and an IP in the same subnet. Rebooted. Still "Acquiring Network Address..." indefinitely.

It shouldn't need to acquire anything if you set it statically. Check that the settings took and that you did the right connection. Post ipconfig output.

That's what I thought. Well, the settings took.

ipconfig out:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : spartan
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless P
CI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-3D-61-4D-5D

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8D-4A-56-32
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.106
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 66.169.177.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.113.206.10

The IP, Subnet, Gateway, and DNS were all zeros before I entered manually. Still that stupid yellow dot and "Acquiring Network Address...". What the heck?

You should set that stuff to the router's internal address. It makes no sense to me that it would try to acquire an address. What if you disable and reenable the connection?

I did set everything from what the router settings said, except for the IP. The IP I chose based on the subnet.

The Gateway is what the router says. I did notice that DHCP enabled reads "no", while on the XP thats works, it says "yes". Maybe I just have to enable DHCP manually?

DHCP is what it will use when it's not set to a static IP. And in your Windows setup, the gateway should be the router's INTERNAL address.

So you can't ping the router or anything?

Ok, I set the gateway to the router's internal address. After reboot, it was "connected", but still no internet. I did the "repair" option, and this time, it says it can't register with the DNS.

Try these settings:
IP: 192.168.0.106
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1
S. Mask: 255.255.255.0

Try these settings:
IP: 192.168.0.106
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1
S. Mask: 255.255.255.0

This worked! What does this tell me? What exactly was going on, and how do I fix it so I don't have to have it static anymore?

As others have pointed out your gateway IP address was not in the same subnet of your machine's IP address. What you discovered with GlobalFear's recommendation is that your router should have DHCP enabled , forward DNS inquries to your ISP's DNS server and assign IP's to machines on your network. You may have inadvertently set a static DNS setting configured in your router settings. This could be what is throwing your machines off.

What you discovered with GlobalFear's recommendation is that your router should have DHCP enabled

It does have DHCP enabled. Something is messed up in my XP install somewhere. I can automatically get the IP and DNS settings from my router's DHCP on a Linux partition on the same machine.

Well, the problems have started again. Windows autoupdated, and now it can't register DNS anymore. The settings are still the same ones that GlobalFear suggested, and they did work. Now they aren't.

I would say, reset your router to default factory settings. Then work from there. Also, try setting your computer's IP to a number under 100, like 10 or something. Your Router's DHCP probably uses 100+, from what I'm guessing.

Back