Internet connection problems - please take a look

Frosteh

2[H]4U
This is a strange problem which has occured about 3 days ago and has persisted for a while now, im not sure if its OS related or if its a problem with my ISP. This thread is really just to see if you guys can help me any further before i go shouting to my ISP that they're being lame :)

Ok so connection recently has been poor in several areas, P2P file sharing, bit torrent downloads and internet gaming seem to be all slowing down. I've ran speed tests from websites online and they all report back at roughly the right speed for the connection (512/256) and downloads speeds from single sources http or ftp for instance, are all fine we get pretty much the max speeds for our connection.

However all p2p networks and CS:S (not tested any other games) have problems, before it was fine. I've changed the ports around in case the ISP has capped the speeds for file sharing etc and its not that, i've gone to huge lengths to get bit torrent downloading/uploading at more than about 5k/s to no avail. CS:S we're getting loads of choke and loss, but with pretty good pings, yet when my bro joins on the same connection using ICS and a switch the game gets really bad, massive choke and loss, unplayable, but with reported pings of like 60-80 still, yet the game is pausing for like 10 seconds at a time due to lag.

We have a small LAN here with a switch and we use ICS normally but i've set it up so the modem is in my PC and its still doing it. Things i've recently done which might have caused this problem.

Installed XP SP2
Installed Norton 2005 Anti Virus

I use windows XP firewall and have a reasonaly clean system, no viruses up to date virus scanner, scanned for ad/spy ware with spybot and adware thats all pretty clean. I've heard that SP2 has some problems with virus scanning software.

But i dunno what it is, the best i can describe it is that multiple connections slow down the overall connection to the internet. Its possible its just a large case of packet loss im not sure. Again download speeds and pings seem to be ok, but multiple connections seem to just grind everything to a halt.

Anyways any help or suggestions would be really apreciated, because i want this sorted asap and it feels like a problem at my ISP's end, and as i said, i dont want to phone them up complaining if its something dodgy at my end. Let me know if you need any more info on my system, I arent a n00b, its pretty well setup system and untill about 3-4 days ago was working tip top even with several of us on a network.

After some searching about possible problems with XP SP2, it appears they limited the amount of TCPIP conections to 10 and also the amount of connections that are retrying as well. I think 10 was default so i followed the advice to increase the number higher to 50 and restarted yet its done no good, is there any other stupid little things like this in SP2?

Frosteh said:
After some searching about possible problems with XP SP2, it appears they limited the amount of TCPIP conections to 10 and also the amount of connections that are retrying as well. I think 10 was default so i followed the advice to increase the number higher to 50 and restarted yet its done no good, is there any other stupid little things like this in SP2?

This is the correct reason for the problem, SP2 limits the number of TCPIP connections. I'm not sure what you did to bump it up to 50, but theres a couple programs and stuff out there that you can download to change it. What steps did you follow to change the number?

I added a registry key and gave it the value 50, i was linked to the documentation on microsofts website, if theres any small programs to do it that anyone has a link to I would apreciate that.

Frosteh said:
I added a registry key and gave it the value 50, i was linked to the documentation on microsofts website, if theres any small programs to do it that anyone has a link to I would apreciate that.

I just remember that this issue needed more than a registry change, it needed some file modified, but I have no idea which, sorry :(. Do a google search for it, you'll find lots of independant sites.

there was number of concurrent connections and number of attempted connections or something, i downloaded the 4226 fix, still no effect.

I guess its time to phone my ISP and no doubt go through a loborious task of jumping through their hoops checking my PC for spyware before they even take a look at their network, sigh :(

10 second delays in a game... Honestly sounds hardware/network related. If I *had* to guess I would look at the NIC and maybe the drivers, then move "up" the network ladder to the router, then modem, then ISP.

Got another NIC handy you can throw in there to test?

The P2P stuff is likely the 10 concurrent connection limit, do away with it.

GL.

Back