Internet connection is bad frequently

flylite

n00b
Does anybody know why the internet connection would not work after awhile? I would try to open up a web page like google, and the white explorer screen would show up saying that it was not able to connect to that address. Then, I have to unplug my cable modem and run the repair function in network connections.
It usually works after I do this, but some time later, it goes bad again.
It's so annoying, any ideas why this is happening?

does the modem have a to the Internet at all times or is it your computer that looses its connection to the cable modem?

The reason I ask is because my modem was consistantly loosing its connection with Cox's network and that in turn (obviously) sever my computer's Internet connection.

Once I told them to get thier asses out to my house and check the wiring, they found that my wiring was bad and the modem was only recieving a weak signal most of the time everything worked fine.

If your computer is loosing the connection with the modem it too can be a bad cable or loosly crimped RJ-45 ends. It could also be a bad NIC that may have problems if it recieves too much data. If it is your computer, it could be a whole lot of things.

Also, make sure you have scanned for viruses with an updated virus scanner.

I had exactly the same issue, they ended replacing the cablemodem (motorola sb5100)

OldMX

I have the Motorola SB5100 too, that I bought retail at BestBuy.
How do I troubleshoot to determine if the connection/signal is bad at the Comcast coax cable, SB5100 modem, or Intel NIC card?

In Windows, will going to Settings>Network Connections>Local Area Connection Status inform me off possible causes?

Thanks for all the help

In your browser, try entering 192.168.100.1 for an address. This is the address for my SB4200, should be the same for yours. Once in the modem, you can see what your signal strength is. My downstream power is extremely low right now at -19 dB and I have the same problem. One issue that causes this is too many, or low quality splitters before the modem. Another issue is the cable. RG59 cable has too much signal loss over length - should be using the RG6 cable. Also, the run for your modem should be off of the first splitter where the cable comes into the house, and run directly to the modem.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1197

I work for a cable internet company and I can tell you that you'll have nothing but problems with a downstream signal of -19. A house amp may be needed to boost your signal up.

I never understood why some people would rather buy a cable modem at retail rather than get it from the cable company. You may save a few bucks a month but if something goes wrong you have to go buy another. Many things can go wrong with a cable modem (A power surge can burn out the ethernet port and/or USB ports for example).

As to the original question, you may have a low downstream signal or a high upstream. Having an upstream signal too high can cause just as many problems as a downstream problem. If the signal strength is fine, it's probably either a bad modem or NIC card.

Ideally, you want a downstream signal between +7 and -7db (not always possible depending on the building you live in). For upstream, anything above +52db can cause problems, although +54 and up is where most problems are seen.

Back