Internet connection disconnecting every time refrigerator starts/stops... Strange!

MagicMan84

Limp Gawd
Have a strange problem here. I noticed throughout the day my internet will lose signal for a second or two, then immediately return. I just observed it happens exactly when my small bedroom ref turns on and off the cooling mechanism. I hear the ref click off to stop cooling, and then the internet icon flashes and I lose connection for a second or two. When the ref turns back on, the connection drops again for a second or two. This happens at a 100% rate, everytime the ref stops or starts.

My ref and PC are both plugged into the same wall outlet. However, as someone who knows a thing or two about electronics, I don't see how this could cause any problem.

Anyone know what could be going on?

Thanks!

If you're not using wireless (and if you are, moving from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz wireless might fix the problem), then it's possible that a power sag when the condenser kicks in on your fridge is causing your NIC to lose its connection. If your router or modem are on the same circuit it'd be even more likely. I'd say try moving your PC/router/modem to another outlet or hooking it up to a UPS?

Cable or DSL?
Does the modem lose sync or is it the router that flakes out? Or is it isolated to your computer?

Definitely missing enough info that this would be impossible to troubleshoot.

It sounds like you are approaching brown out conditions. I'd buy a small ups to put the pc on before you damage it. That will keep the voltage more constant.

My ref and PC are both plugged into the same wall outlet. However, as someone who knows a thing or two about electronics, I don't see how this could cause any problem.

Well then you'll also know that you can only send so much electricity through a single wall outlet.

That's an interesting one. Only thing I can think of is the line is browning out as mentioned. Laser printers are bad for this. Since it's not a complete black out, lot of UPSes wont see this as an outage and wont trip, or they'll trip too slowly.

Reminds me of a funny phone trouble we had, I was not around but heard of it. Customer called repair saying every time their phone rings, the furnace starts. Turns out someone hooked the phone line to the thermostat wires. :p

Ok, I better provide more info.

The PC and REF are plugged into the same wall outlet. The actual modem/router is a Uverse all-in-one modem which is in the basement on a different line in the circuit breaker. I'm running an Ethernet wire from the basement up the floor to the PC directly.

I didn't have this problem when I had DSL and my PC/REF were always plugged into the same line for over 5 yrs now. Also, this is a small mini bedroom ref, not a kitchen beast.

If it's a power sag which is causing it, then shouldn't it only interrupt the internet when it kicks on and not when it kicks off ? It's interrupting at both times, when it turns on and when it turns off.

I suppose I will buy a UPS and see if that solves it. It just seems really weird and I couldn't find any similar examples in google. All I could find were refs with internet connections, lol

Back