Internet Capped??

roninblade

[H]ard|Gawd
I got a letter the other day telling me to limit my downloads and i did for a while so today i turn on Utorrent everything is downloading at 30K sec but if i install the original Bittorrent it will download at full speed. Any Ideas? Any way to get around it? Thanks

Pen Tele Data up here in the Poconos PA, i think its weird how its only a problem for one torrent client but not the other

Perhaps you may need to reconfigure utorrent or change ports?

oldmx

Is it me or is mine maxing out generally on Bitlord at 40-50Kb/s both ways not very impressive? I just thought "maybe it can't get here any faster for some reason".

I can download anything else off the web (From a fast website) at over 500kb/s.

well i switched the port and its staying above 30K but the port is a random one so im not getting the full potential is there another port i can use?

You have to forward the port(s) to your machine, otherwise you'll only get connections within your subnet. Of course if you have uPNP enabled it doesn't matter.

@Grimmda - there are several possibilities for this. You're just connected to a lot of greedy clients who set their uploads to maybe 0 KB/s or something very low, or the torrent only has a few clients connected, or you didn't port forward.

When I bother to use BT, I usually get around 100 - 500 KB/s depending on the clients I'm connected to.

the strange think the problem is only with Utorrent which is my fav client, is there a way that the ISP can cap a single app like Utorrent?

roninblade said:
the strange think the problem is only with Utorrent which is my fav client, is there a way that the ISP can cap a single app like Utorrent?
No, it isn't the ISP doing it...it's the different app. Utorrent sucks balls, and I know a lot will disagree with me. Whenever that's open, and I had a transfer in progress, I could barely use the computer, and any other internet related tasks would just hang. I switched to using Azeurus (sp?) and I haven't had that problem at all, even with a random port that I chose.

Thats funny, most people have the opposite problem. I use utorrent on my 667mhz machine with 64mb of memory and it runs fast.

djnes said:
No, it isn't the ISP doing it...it's the different app. Utorrent sucks balls, and I know a lot will disagree with me. Whenever that's open, and I had a transfer in progress, I could barely use the computer, and any other internet related tasks would just hang. I switched to using Azeurus (sp?) and I haven't had that problem at all, even with a random port that I chose.

Im trying Azureus and its not helping, if anything its slower. I really think the ISP messed with something

well i also live in the poconos and penteledata is my isp. i down loaded a random program and had down load speeds in excess of 120k. must be a configuration problem. keep us posted.

BillLeeLee said:
You have to forward the port(s) to your machine, otherwise you'll only get connections within your subnet. Of course if you have uPNP enabled it doesn't matter.

@Grimmda - there are several possibilities for this. You're just connected to a lot of greedy clients who set their uploads to maybe 0 KB/s or something very low, or the torrent only has a few clients connected, or you didn't port forward.

When I bother to use BT, I usually get around 100 - 500 KB/s depending on the clients I'm connected to.

Cool thanks, you're right I've never set forwarding up for the BitLord ports...

My ISP shut off my internet connection until I had to call them. This happend twice.

The explanation was using Bitorrent (heh they said it funny too). I explained to them I download independent movies online which require Bitorrent, they took that.

Second time called them told me I could never use it, told me to uninstall. I told them I would and all I did was just change the port numbers around to some unknown port number, I havent got a email or a call for a few months now.

Who is your ISP?

Penn Tele Data, Its fine now, it just maxes out at 30K on Utorrent, Azureus is working fine now

mozes said:
My ISP shut off my internet connection until I had to call them. This happend twice.

The explanation was using Bitorrent (heh they said it funny too). I explained to them I download independent movies online which require Bitorrent, they took that.

Second time called them told me I could never use it, told me to uninstall. I told them I would and all I did was just change the port numbers around to some unknown port number, I havent got a email or a call for a few months now.

Who is your ISP?
who is your isp

Back