Internet (but not LAN/intranet) is sloooow when using router

scottmso

Limp Gawd
I'm a college student who lives in a university housing complex and I use the university's network to access the Internet. I have a wireless router hooked up to my connection in spite of the fact that we really aren't supposed to...but from what I've seen they don't enforce it. Looking right now I see 3 other (secured) non-university access points...I would use the university's but they are only accessible in certain parts of the residence hall.

Over the past few days I've had a problem with the Internet connection being EXTREMELY slow and practically unusable. This is similar to what happens when I do high-speed Bittorrent downloads/seeding on the network...you can have it running at 1-2MB/s+ but it will be literally impossible to browse the web on the same machine/connection (throttling of connections or something?) HOWEVER in both cases, I have no problem accessing systems/websites on the local network, such as the local webmail, school website, or the CS department's system (via SSH).

I figured my cheapo CompUSA router could have been crapping out so I hooked up a Netgear router I had floating around...no dice. Played around with a bunch of things...change MAC address, reset settings, screwed with DNS servers, so on...it didn't do anything. However, when I connect my computer directly to the connection, it works like a charm.

What might be going on here? My suspicion is that the school's IT department is doing something to screw with routers. I do notice that the router's internet connection LED is flashing a lot, even when nothing is connected to the network (and yes, my network is secured via WPA.) I also tried hooking up the router to another network jack here, but same problem.

Cliff notes: Wireless router on school network, internet randomly became very slow but local sites work fine. Tried other router but it also has problem. Everything works well when not using a router.

You are double-natting and that can cause the extreme slow-downs you're describing for one. Unless you're only allowed one MAC address or there is some other limitation like that, plug the network connection into the LAN side of the router and simply use it as an AP/switch instead of a full NAT/SPI router.

You are double-natting and that can cause the extreme slow-downs you're describing for one. Unless you're only allowed one MAC address or there is some other limitation like that, plug the network connection into the LAN side of the router and simply use it as an AP/switch instead of a full NAT/SPI router.

Sounds about right...

Our home network has 3 "routers" but only 1 is actually acting as one... the other 2 are wireless AP's while the wired gigabit is the real router... :D

I know I had issues before I knew what I was doing trying to connect wireless + the gigabit one...

Back