Internet Boom 2.0 is Here?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If investment capital continues to flow at its present rate, 2011 will be on track to be the highest investment year since 2000. Fears of another tech bubble are beginning to form along with the influx of capital.

I've heard ... many venture capitalists who are saying, 'No, there's not a bubble,'" said Dana Stalder, a partner in the Silicon Valley office of the venture capital firm Matrix Partners."When you're seeing valuations double in the last 12 months for the same company, the same team, it feels like a bubble to me”.

It seems like just about everything now has to be this bubble-crash cycle. This will be another one.

great, so housing prices in the Silicon Valley area are going to skyrocket again?

great, so housing prices in the Silicon Valley area are going to skyrocket again?

Probably not. I think we're still feeling the effects of the 08 crash, and I think we've learned our lesson based on 00 and 08.

This could also be indicative of new money flowing in to the tech sector as investments in other industries become less lucrative in comparison to the tech industry (which is still going strong). Degrees in CIS and IST do not necessarily translate into competent coders.

If the amount of investment in the industry doubles while the amount of talent doesn't increase by much then yea that same team will get it's valuation doubled.

waiting for internet crash 2.0 so i can laugh at idiot investors who don't learn from history 2.0

The basic problem then never really went away, a lot of companies being valued very high but actually not making any money.

I welcome it. Whatever else you can say about the dot-com boom, it produced a lot of innovation, garnered a lot of interest in that new "internet" thing, and got a lot of people thinking about different ways to try to do business online. This may be looking back through rose-tinted spectacles (after all, it wasn't me who lost any money), but it was an exciting time.

With Kansas City getting the Google Fiber Project I hope to see a big boom in my area.

It makes my job pay more to keep me :D

Tech bubble 2.0 = The cloud

Highly unlikely .. I develop in the cloud (force.com) and it has saved such ridiculous cash for local govt, small business, and social institutions that its seen as a small miracle. No servers, no software. I am working on a whole MIS for several huge social programs funded by NYS, and the cloud is about to change not just budgets, but lives where I live...

Wow, I sound like an infomercial.. I guess I should mention that I work for a non-profit that does this and life-changing statements like that are pretty esoteric here; and often powerfully true. It just happens that nobody sees it when a broken family changes just b/c 1 of their kids succeeds, a kid gets job training, or the homeless get mental health and drug treatment..

but all that aside.. the cloud is changing everything that we can do for agencies, social workers, coordinators... everyone. I can run a massive database that keeps track of an individual's needs, medications, diagnoses, residences, family contacts and enrolled programs that is available to a social worker from any browser in the world, and to the local govt that can track their own and all the agencys progress to decide which is worth funding, training, or whose population should be handed off to a better agency.

The downside? It removes the need for an upgrade cycle at any organization or agency, when all computing is done in the cloud and no desktops or laptops ever need to be upgraded past what their browsers can do. Also, the necessity to house your own servers is going to take a serious hit.

Oh, and before anyone starts off about "security" .. I already had to read and produce the security white-paper of force.com, where they state several compliances, including ISO 29001, which encompasses HIPAA which is relevant to us.. but perhaps of note is that it also encompasses FISMA (the govt agency compliance requirement), and SOX (the financial regulation compliance) .. just to give you a hint at what kind of places can use it.

The cloud.. is a beautiful thing :)

While it is possible there is a bubble you can't really compare it with the situation in 2000. Back then most ideas where before their time as people were still getting used to the internet, still had dial-up etc. Now we are constantly connected through pretty much every electronic device we have and used to buying things online (unlike back then when a lot more people were skeptical). Many of the ideas that failed in 2000 did so simply because they were before their time.

Until all of these computing resources get moved to China and India.

That will not happen; there is no reason for it; and serious compliance disincentives. What will happen is India and China develop their own clouds that could be thrown into the computing mix for compliance insensitive customers. The cloud must maintain the compliance under which it was billed to the customers; and since security was their biggest hurdle, they would not dare take a step in that wrong directions.

Of note also are the multitude of private cloud offerings for those with more serious control issues.

That is, until the personal information of millions of people are hacked. It's raining social security numbers!

It is difficult to hack for anything specific in the cloud. The best you can hope for is to cut into a cake of data and hope to make sense of anything in that slice, b/c you cant really see beneath the frosting of what you're cutting, and the whole cake is too massive.

But this is all speculation, as a cloud-specific data compromise has not happened yet that could any way relate to something inherently cloud-vulnerable. Nothing beyond the usual account theft that could happen with or w/o cloud, that I heard of.

It is difficult to hack for anything specific in the cloud. The best you can hope for is to cut into a cake of data and hope to make sense of anything in that slice, b/c you cant really see beneath the frosting of what you're cutting, and the whole cake is too massive.

But this is all speculation, as a cloud-specific data compromise has not happened yet that could any way relate to something inherently cloud-vulnerable. Nothing beyond the usual account theft that could happen with or w/o cloud, that I heard of.

I imagine you will make a request and listen to incoming data and assemble your cake. I hear cloud 2.0 uses chocolate frosting.

"Yet" is the key word here. Where there is financial gain to be had, there is a will. With all the personal information that will be available, someone *will* figure out how to get to that data.

Back