International version of Windows 10, any issues?

tzl99

n00b
Hi,
tl:dr: I bought the international version of Win 10 Pro OEM by mistake, but live in the US. Will there be problems using it or with updates? Should I send it back? Thanks.

BACKGROUND:
I'm assembling parts for an upcoming build. Yesterday I ordered some components from Amazon and threw in Win 10 Pro OEM to the basket and purchased. This was at work during lunch and I didn't think much of it. Later that night when I received my confirmation email from Amazon, I noticed the poor rating of Win 10 that I had ordered. I know many people don't like the OS, but when I clicked on the link to read some reviews, a lot of the complaints were to do with the version of Windows. It seems that the link I used to buy sells the international or UK version. I am in the US.

In the reviews, some people said there were no issues, just change the language and keyboard once installed. Others complained about problems with updates or problems activating. I emailed the seller (unfortunately, when I ordered in a rush I thought this product was coming from Amazon), and asked about the version. He responded saying this is the "international version" and there is no problem.

I haven't received it or installed it (I don't even have my CPU yet). Are there problems I need to worry about? Should I send it back and just download it from MS directly?

Thanks,
Louie.

As far as I know you can install the language packs for any language on any copy of Windows 10.

My only concern is how much this oem win 10 key cost? id rather have retail myself (even win 7) since you still have a week for the free upgrade......just remember oem is good for that one motherboard only

My only concern is how much this oem win 10 key cost? id rather have retail myself (even win 7) since you still have a week for the free upgrade......just remember oem is good for that one motherboard only

He's got a month + a week. The offer expires on July 28th (and we'll see what happens after that).

Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses. It was $104 at Amazon. I guess I'll keep it and install it. If there are any problems with installation/activation I'll contact Amazon and just get another product, hopefully more official. Yesterday when I looked briefly for Win 7 Pro OEM I found the prices similar (about $95 or so). Since the prices were so similar, and I was on a bit of a time crunch (hence not seeing that I was buying an international version) I just bought the Win 10 version. It was only last night when I noticed what I bought exactly. Most of the reviews say everything works fine, but some people had reported that they could not activate it. That's what concerned me (and still does).

As for being OEM, I'm aware I cannot transfer it to another PC. Generally when I build a new system, I get whatever is the latest OS at the time, and by the time I build a new system a few years later, I move on with the OS. I've been doing this since Win 95. The only time I've ever used the OS on a 2nd motherboard was with XP when a motherboard blew a capacitor. When I installed it on the new MB, I did need to call MS but they gave me a new key that worked. Thanks for the help.

Louie.

It might actually be against the TOS and/or EULA to use the N or K version outside of those regions.
Will anything actually happen? I would wager the answer to be: No.

I could certainly be wrong on either or both counts :)

Back