international processors...?

ar09

Gawd
how come there are not chinese or japanese, or europian made, computer processors? how came there are all american, intel, amd, etc.??

Because Americans are technologically more advanced than other nations? China was still technically a 3rd world country until the past few decades, they're still climbing the catch-up ladder.

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Some of the highest volume processors in the world are not American. I guess you've never heard of ARM? VIA?

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Some of the highest volume processors in the world are not American. I guess you've never heard of ARM? VIA?

ARM was founded by Americans, just incorporated in the UK.
just an FYI

ARM was founded by Americans, just incorporated in the UK.
just an FYI

So since EVGA was founded was a Chinese guy (Andrew Han), are you going to call it a Chinese company and not an American one? :p The proportion of Chinese engineers working @ IBM, Intel, AMD etc. and responsible for much of the work is likely also quite high. Ethnicity or nationality of the people responsible for the work is kind of irrelvant to this thread.

Industry and point of origin is denoted by place of incorporation. Additionaly, the whole point of ARM in the first place was Acorn RISC which was wholly UK. Apple and VLSI were part of the joint venture as they badly needed funding.

Last edited:
So since EVGA was founded was a Chinese guy (Andrew Han), are you going to call it a Chinese company and not an American one? :p
One guy, versus a whole bunch of people? Apples and oranges.

The proportion of Chinese engineers working @ IBM, Intel, AMD etc. and responsible for much of the work is likely also quite high. Ethnicity or nationality of the people responsible for the work is kind of irrelvant to this thread.
You brought up ethnicity, not me. In fact you just brought it up, and then said it was irrelevant. Nicely done!

Industry and point of origin is denoted by place of incorporation.
Thats debatable. You are saying corporate culture and the predominate nationality of the founding company persons have no impact? OK.

Additionaly, the whole point of ARM in the first place was Acorn RISC which was wholly UK. Apple and VLSI were part of the joint venture as they badly needed funding.
They weren't just part of it. They were most of it.

Whatever, not going to get into a giant semantic e-argument with a hurt-feelings euro.

VIA is a Taiwanese(Chinese) processor maker. You may see their product line here: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/

There are thousands of processor makers, it's just smaller scale or larger scale. Seems like you only know Intel and AMD, which make "PC" processor. There are thousands companies make other kinds of processors, even your microwave has a processor. So I do not know how you judge whether only US makes processor.

VIA has had tons of problems and complaints. Their quality leaves a lot to be desired. I'd avoid em. :p
Americans are no longer producers of much of anything ever since the auto-industry imploded (with their 'poor' auto workers leaving with severance pay and benefits that 99% of Americans don't get at all).

I figured all the processors and electronics were imported from Asian countries? Or am I mistaken? o_O

Back