Internal/External LAN Firewall setup

QueBueno

n00b
Hey guys...
Here's my situation. I'm not a networking pro...but I'm a chronic tinkerer. I have Astaro UTM running on an old computer as my only firewall right now. The Astaro also serves as my DHCP server. My Wifi is provided by a Linksys E3000 running DD-WRT software. NAT/SPI are disabled on the E3000, and it forwards DHCP requests to the Astaro. All my network clients connect via wifi/ethernet to the E3000.

All clients --> E3000 (no firewall) --> Astaro --> www

I am considering setting up my own personal cloud server using a Synology NAS that I can access remotely. I would also like to remotely access my Surveillance DVR. I would like to access them via VPN or portforwarding. I do not want to use DMZ.

I would like to utilize the SPI firewall on the E3000 to provide an extra layer of defense. I would like the NAS and the DVR to be on an external LAN between the Astaro and the E3000...and all other clients being on an internal LAN behind the E3000. I have the necessary switches/cables to make this work.

My question is...How do I configure the E3000? Can I have both the internal and external LANs on the same subnet? Do I have to use the NAT on the E3000? I'd rather not...since that will render the Astaro's reporting functions rather worthless.

I would like the Astaro to remain the only DHCP server. I would like all internal LAN clients to be able to reach out to the external LAN/WAN...but the external LAN should not be able to reach into the Internal.

How do I go about doing this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Why not just put the NAS and DVR on the same network as the rest of your devices.... much simpler. Having the two firewalls like that makes no sense. As far as a "better firewall" it'd be your Astaro. Just port forward what you need on the Astaro. As long as you don't have unnecessary ports fowarded and the ones that are forwarded, are secure (secure passwords, etc) and Windows firewall enabled, you are more than secure enough.

Back