intermittent Web Sites

Ramirez_nz

n00b
Hey,

Currently my web site browsing experience is very patchy. Some web sites work perfectly (like [H] ) , others wont load at all (my ISP's times out??) and others take an age to do anything; but do work in the end.

The problem affects Chrome, Edge, and IE Browsers. I'm running Win10 -1709

I've been googling a lot, but with no joy (manly deleting cookies/history etc), I've also run the network troubleshooter and the network reset features in the control panel.

Because it affects all the browers I'm assuming that its a Windows setting, I'm just not sure what to look for next.
I'll be grateful for any suggestions, or questions to solve this issues.

Thanks

No joke, this started happening to me about two hours ago. Typing this on my phone via LTE cuz I can't get anything else to work.

Where are you located/what is your ISP? I am in Texas with AT&T. Initially it seemed like a DNS problem but it's happening regardless of the DNS server I use.

Edit: http://downdetector.com/status/att/map

Last edited:
No joke, this started happening to me about two hours ago. Typing this on my phone via LTE cuz I can't get anything else to work.

Where are you located/what is your ISP? I am in Texas with AT&T. Initially it seemed like a DNS problem but it's happening regardless of the DNS server I use.

Edit: http://downdetector.com/status/att/map

Sorry i'm in New Zealand so not a Texas thing. My ISP is orcon . net . nz

My Phone and Laptop and other Wifi devices all work okay - even with the web sites i can access with my pc.

Proxy somehow get configured? Ping 8.8.8.8 with a -T to see if you see any major latency spikes or dropped packets.

Proxy somehow get configured? Ping 8.8.8.8 with a -T to see if you see any major latency spikes or dropped packets.

Ran it 777 times with no lost packets, and a Min ping of 40ms, Max 56ms and an average of 42ms. I also tried some of the web sites i constantly have problems with and they had similar results.

Wow that's really bizarre... The only other thing you can do is do a trace route to one of the sites you have issues with and see if there any troubled or bad spots

* Update* Finally got round to contacting my ISP and they turned off IP-6 in my router and the problems gone away.
I see that you might already have a solution. But, you may want to change the DNS on your router if you haven't already. That can also cause symptoms like what you described.
Google is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Cloudflare (faster than Google) is 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

I see that you might already have a solution. But, you may want to change the DNS on your router if you haven't already. That can also cause symptoms like what you described.

For those that like speed but also security, use Quad9 (9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) - or both.

The problem with that is ISPs have started hijacking DNS queries on port 53 and redirecting them to their own servers to inject adds etc. Only way to prevent this that I know is to create a VPN and force all DNS traffic through that tunnel.

Or to use DNS over HTTPS. AFAIK Cloudflare and google dns services support it.
I use Coudflare's DNS (1.1.1.1) for about a year and I'm very happy. The latency for me is the same as to my ISP's (about 2-3ms). My ISP's DNS were unreliable, and I got sick of it.

A bit late to the party, but if you ever see something like this, just use a linux live cd and see if you can hit the same sites or not. If you can, it's something with your windows install. If it's the same problem under a linux live cd (or two), then it's an ISP thing which you can call them about if it's happening directly connected to their equipment (which I would not advise except with the TENS/Lightweight Portable Security live cd).

A bit late to the party, but if you ever see something like this, just use a linux live cd and see if you can hit the same sites or not. If you can, it's something with your windows install. If it's the same problem under a linux live cd (or two), then it's an ISP thing which you can call them about if it's happening directly connected to their equipment (which I would not advise except with the TENS/Lightweight Portable Security live cd).
Dude, Samir. Don't use your ISP's DNS. Read the other replies in this thread. It's much easier than burning a Linux iso and booting into it to test... Although I always recommend booting Linux :cool:

Dude, Samir. Don't use your ISP's DNS. Read the other replies in this thread. It's much easier than burning a Linux iso and booting into it to test... Although I always recommend booting Linux :cool:
I've seen this happen even when using other dns when windows is borked, so the live cd lets you know what else may be going on. There is malware out there that can cause this too.

I've seen this happen even when using other dns when windows is borked, so the live cd lets you know what else may be going on. There is malware out there that can cause this too.
Other things are possible for sure. I don't think it should be the first thing anyone is trying. It'd be a good followup step if changing your DNS and rebooting all devices haven't helped

Other things are possible for sure. I don't think it should be the first thing anyone is trying. It'd be a good followup step if changing your DNS and rebooting all devices haven't helped
Next to rebooting and checking cabling, this would actually be my next step. I won't change things to fix problems if there wasn't a problem before because that's not getting to the root cause and fixing it once and for all.

Back