intermittent freezing on SATA

TrEpIdAtIoN

Limp Gawd
My setup:
P4 3.2ghz with stock cooling
2 250 gb Western Digital drives SATA on intel contollers (no raid array as of now)
1 200 gb Maxtor SATA on promise controllers
Asus p4c800-e deluxe
2 gigs of ddr400 ram
6800 gt AGP version
pioneer dvd-r
antec 400 watt psu
My question
When writing(anything from copy/paste or torrents etc..) to my 200 gig Maxtor drive i have intermittent freezing of the computer. It does not crash at all just small frequent freezes. I have run scanndisk a couple times and it has not come up with anything. Need a better program to run on it heh. My guess is possibly power supply b/c of all the crap i have running on it. The drive was working perfectly in my old system as part of a raid 0 array and its twin is working perfectly for my roommates computer. Anyone have any similar problems and fix it?

I was having similar problems on a 160 GB Seagate I had been using as my boot drive before I replaced it with a 200. It seemed to wake up again when I'd jiggle the power cable, though using a different SATA power adapter nor using a different PSU lead fixed it. I'm still not sure if it was the power cable at all. I'd be interested if anyone has advice, and, since we're both using the same mainboard, which controller are you using? I'm using the first two controllers so I don't have to wait that extra little bit for the onboard Promise controller during boot.

I'm having similar problems with a raid 0 array. It hangs for 2-10 seconds while in windows. Usually when it's trying to load something.

I have it setup on a p4t533 with 2 ata133 drives. Different setup that you have, but it seems to be the same problem.

I guess it could be a power problem, since I am also running quite a few things. Did you ever figure yours out Trep?

i was having the same problem with the two 200gb seagates, a bios update solved it, the update also updated the sata controller bios

How exactly would I go about updated the bios in the promise chip itself?? I have a pdc20276 on the p4t533. I can't find any drivers on asus.com that says anything about the bios itself. Should I try flashing the MB bios to different versions to see if i can get it to work?

Oh, does the MB bios different from the promise controller bios? I assume it is from what you said.

It will update when you do the mobo update. That assumes a new promise update is available.

That would be for the onboard SATA. If you have a card, there might be updates for that as well, with instructions.

the sata controller bios was bundled with the motherboard bios for me, could be the same thing for your board

Back