Hi everyone,
Recently I purchaced an eMachines W3050 after accepting the reality that I just don't have the time and money to build the machine I want, plus my poor laptop of 5 years is really starting to show it's age. So I figured I'll get this for now, build my PC over the next year and then give this one to the kids.
Now I'm running into a big annoyance with it, I am experiencing intermitent shutdowns followed by an alternating tone (Sounds like european police sirens). I have to unplug the PC just to get it to stop so I can reboot the PC. (Who was the f*n genious who decided to remove the power switch on the power supply?) Anyway I need to find out what this tone means. eMachines support sucks ass and are impossible to get ahold of.
Currently I have not added/removed any hardware and the only software related stuff I've done is added 2 user accounts, uninstalled McAfee and Norton and installed PC-Cillin's Internet security and a couple of games. I also ran Windows updater and updated the system to SP2 and updated DirectX to 9c. I also tried updating the video drivers and thought that was the cause however it still happes without the new updates. (I rolled it back to the day I first fired it up.) I have read that some other eMachine models have experience shutting down due to heat and one of the fixes was adding more thermo grease and loosening the CPU heatsink. Apparently it was on to tight and causing a "hot spot". I haven't checked this out yet but is on my list of things to try. Right now I'm trying to find out what that tone means. If anyone know what it may be or can direct me to a site that describes these tones I would really appriciate it.
Recently I purchaced an eMachines W3050 after accepting the reality that I just don't have the time and money to build the machine I want, plus my poor laptop of 5 years is really starting to show it's age. So I figured I'll get this for now, build my PC over the next year and then give this one to the kids.
Now I'm running into a big annoyance with it, I am experiencing intermitent shutdowns followed by an alternating tone (Sounds like european police sirens). I have to unplug the PC just to get it to stop so I can reboot the PC. (Who was the f*n genious who decided to remove the power switch on the power supply?) Anyway I need to find out what this tone means. eMachines support sucks ass and are impossible to get ahold of.
Currently I have not added/removed any hardware and the only software related stuff I've done is added 2 user accounts, uninstalled McAfee and Norton and installed PC-Cillin's Internet security and a couple of games. I also ran Windows updater and updated the system to SP2 and updated DirectX to 9c. I also tried updating the video drivers and thought that was the cause however it still happes without the new updates. (I rolled it back to the day I first fired it up.) I have read that some other eMachine models have experience shutting down due to heat and one of the fixes was adding more thermo grease and loosening the CPU heatsink. Apparently it was on to tight and causing a "hot spot". I haven't checked this out yet but is on my list of things to try. Right now I'm trying to find out what that tone means. If anyone know what it may be or can direct me to a site that describes these tones I would really appriciate it.