• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Interim Cards while waiting for Fermi

notsane

Gawd
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
583
I have two systems both are X58 i7 920 with 6GB ram and SLI or crossfire +1kw PS.

Sytem 1 had tri-sli gtx 285s (running 25x16) and system 2 had a single gtx 295 (running 19x12). In anticipation of dropping values of the 200 series when Fermi launches, I have sold the gtx295 for $400 and two out of the three gtx285s for $275 each. Right now I have a single gtx285 in my wife's computer and my PC is non-functional. I was thinking of selling off the last gtx285 at $275 and picking up two 5850s for$300 each as a stop gap to wait for fermi (one in each pc for now). When the gtx480 launches, plan to pick up a single card for me and transfer both 5850s to my wife's pc for crossfire x or sell both and get her a gtx480 or gtx460. My wife is running at 19x12 and I am running at 25x16 so I need more power (and have a lower tolerance for low fps [fyi I never really liked my tri-sli setup as I thought it should have had higer minimum fps]). I figure the ati cards will hold their value better since they are this generation (barring drastic ati price cuts).

What should I do?

I suppose I could always go without a PC for a few weeks and keep the last gtx285 in my wife's machine. She will be happy with that performance for now. After fermi launces, how much lower do you the the gtx285 value will drop ($275 is a good price to sell then at now based on my success).

Also what do you think of my strategy of selling the 200 series cards before fermi launch, seems like a good move, but I am second guessing myself a bit.
 
Maybe wait a week or so to see how things start developing. Might keep that last 285 as possible PhysX card to go with a 480?
 
if you can really sell that GTX285 for 275 then by all means do it. and a 5850 is drop in / slight upgrade for it. then you could move both the 5850 as you mentioned. (dual 5850 is probably better then your tri sli was) you'll get better longevity out of the 5850 right now.

but I don't see fermi driving any prices down right now. I am just hoping that they perform on par with a highly OCed 5870 at this point.

as for selling them off for fermi, I don't think it was the best idea ever. from everything I have heard this is going to be a long cycle for Nvidia. I certainly don't agree with the doomsday people but I can't say that I think they have a snow balls chance of being competitive right now. at the very least its going to be a while before there is enough availability. in short if you want DX11 right now then go ATI. if not your cards were pretty good as they were. still if you can sell them for close to what a 5850 runs that is a pretty damn good investment. esp if you OC.
 
Thanks for the answers. I will wait and see what the [H] fermi benches say before I commit to anything. I hate to wait around for too long to see what nvidia will do. Sounds like I can't go wrong picking up two 5850s for now. I just wish I knew the date gtx480 arrives. If I could just wait and avoid buying the 5850s it would save me a depreciation step. I knew that I had to sell my 200 series stuff while I could get good cash for it. I guess I am still on the fence.
 
I'd sell the 285 and then pick up 2 5850's. I don't think there will be any reason to sell them either, even when fermi comes out. Sure it could be good, but 2x5850s will run absolutely ANYTHING in eyefinity resolutions, much more at 19x12. Once fermi comes out, decide whether to go with one of those or some new 5xxx series cards for yourself.
 
Sell the 285, get 2 x 5850's for now. Damn good way about doing it i think you've got it down.
 
March 26th PAX, nVidia is showing off the 480 and raffle off a SLI custom setup to help ChrisRay's mother.
Not sure if that's when they are offically released though.
 
I'd sell the 285 and then pick up 2 5850's. I don't think there will be any reason to sell them either, even when fermi comes out. Sure it could be good, but 2x5850s will run absolutely ANYTHING in eyefinity resolutions, much more at 19x12. Once fermi comes out, decide whether to go with one of those or some new 5xxx series cards for yourself.

Ya, I will have to see what runs the highest min fps at 25x16. Usally a single faster card does better than SLI or crossfire. 19x12 for my wife's pc is cake for today's cards (especially since she mainly plays TF2 right now :))
 
your running a try sli? that will beat 1 fermi in benchmarks, and good luck getting your hands one just 1 let alone 2...
 
I agree, get a 5850 or 2. It is about a 15% upgrade over the 285 and can be had for equal trade almost. Don't worry about getting the factory overclocked version though. with a tiny bit of tampering, you can OC a 5850 WAY beyond the factory overclocked setting and even if you don't want to attempt it, you aren't really losing any performance with such as minor reduction in clock speeds. Save yourself the 40 bux and get the standard XFX one.

Once fermi is released, I doubt you'll see a giant reduction in ATI's parts due to demand and rarity. That said, even if you'd like to upgrade to Fermi once they are readily available, your 5850s will likely be sellable at a modest price. Either way, you win really.
 
Once fermi is released, I doubt you'll see a giant reduction in ATI's parts due to demand and rarity. That said, even if you'd like to upgrade to Fermi once they are readily available, your 5850s will likely be sellable at a modest price. Either way, you win really.

I have a feeling alot of people are waiting for fermi benchies (least i am anyway) and depending on how they compare they might jump on either fermi or cypress and will keep demand for the current ati cards up
 
No regular 5850s in stoc for xfx and the free shipping makes up for the $10 difference, but you are right, I may just wait. I only have one 285 left and will make my move as soon as it sells. Even if I order today, I won't have before the weekend. Next weekend I have to work, so if I wait two weeks, I may be able to make a more informed choice. If the last 285 sells soon, I will have to get some cards.
 
I think you may have more information on Fermi in two weeks, however, it may be almost impossible to buy one. I have read several places that it might be May before there is any quantity of them for sale. I would buy a 5800 series now and be happy.
 
good to know, I will look for vanilla 5850s at $300 each. I want XFX because it seems like the resale is better. Otherwise I will just get the ones I linked.
 
good to know, I will look for vanilla 5850s at $300 each. I want XFX because it seems like the resale is better. Otherwise I will just get the ones I linked.

I was looking at the vanilla 299$ 5850s yesterday deciding on which one to get if any and they were vanishing before my eyes as the day went on.

Last time I checked newegg had lowest card Gigabyte for 309.

But you made a good point about the XFX cards having better resale as they have the warranty. Kinda wish I had factored that in but in the end didnt think the extra 40$ was worth it.
 
just bought a XFX 5870 OC off TG for 15% cash back.(and a second one for a friend) that put it only 60 bucks more then the vinilla version of the XFX 5850
 
just bought a XFX 5870 OC off TG for 15% cash back.(and a second one for a friend) that put it only 60 bucks more then the vinilla version of the XFX 5850

I did the same with the plain jane 5850. 299$ with bing 45$ cash back.

Pretty nice deal.
 
Back
Top