Interference on the front panel header?

noobman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

I'm committing PC audio crime by using onboard audio w/ analog. As you can imagine I'm getting a ton of buzzing, birring, and annoying interference when I plug in my headphones.

The strange thing is that I don't hear any interference (or if I do it's unnoticeable) when I plug my headphones into the motherboard outputs, but I do when I use the Antec 300 front panel (plugged into the 5 pin HDA connector on the mobo).

The mobo is a Gigabyte P45-DS3R. Is this normal behaviour? It actually annoys me to the point that I'd consider upgrading to a sound card for it.

i think front panel audio interference is pretty common though personally i have a confusing experience with it

in my p182 i get front panel interference. i've tried routing the cable differently inside the case but i can't seem to fix it.

my roommate has the same motherboard (dfi lp dk p35 t2rs) and is using an antec 300 case like you and gets no front panel interference

from this experience I personally am not sure if an upgraded sound card would fix the problem

it all depends on what's near the wires that lead from your sound card to the front panel header, if there are any loops in it (coils cause them to pick up em waves and translate them to electricity better), etc.

Try shielding the wire coming from your onboard sound card front panel wires and your front panel. There are a number of ways to do this. basically you want an INSULATED layer of metal around the cable. Or you could try different routes from the wire, general rule is get it as far away as possible from any pcboards in there. Actually, try different wire routes first. It shouldn't matter how ugly it looks if it works, unless you put a window in your 300 :D

If you want to try shielding... Honestly I have no idea how one would go about that.

Maybe you could be ghetto and wrap aluminum foil around the cable and cover ALL of it with tape to insulate it. No. Don't do this, if you do I'm not responsible for any damage.

Shielded sleeving? https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prod=CH&prodline=ES (NOT INSULATED btw, you'd need tape or more sleeving over it)

Experiment with different cable positions and come back if the problem persists.

Just to let you know, I have a similar problem with my Abit IP35 Pro and Antec Solo. If connected to the back the interference is negligible, and there's significant interference in the front audio jack.

it all depends on what's near the wires that lead from your sound card to the front panel header, if there are any loops in it (coils cause them to pick up em waves and translate them to electricity better), etc.

Try shielding the wire coming from your onboard sound card front panel wires and your front panel. There are a number of ways to do this. basically you want an INSULATED layer of metal around the cable. Or you could try different routes from the wire, general rule is get it as far away as possible from any pcboards in there. Actually, try different wire routes first. It shouldn't matter how ugly it looks if it works, unless you put a window in your 300 :D

If you want to try shielding... Honestly I have no idea how one would go about that.

Maybe you could be ghetto and wrap aluminum foil around the cable and cover ALL of it with tape to insulate it. No. Don't do this, if you do I'm not responsible for any damage.

Shielded sleeving? https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prod=CH&prodline=ES (NOT INSULATED btw, you'd need tape or more sleeving over it)

Experiment with different cable positions and come back if the problem persists.
The wire isn't very long, so I haven't been able to find any other positions for it. I may just get a 3.5mm connector extension cable that can hang around the front of my case. I have six plugs at the back of my case, and I'm only using four of them (3 for speakers, 1 for mic)

The headphone jack on my speaker remote is broken (thanks for nothing DDR Universe) and I can't really bothered to solder a new one onto the PCB.

There's interference present even with a sound card, almost same rig as yours. Me thinks the wiring is to be blamed, plus i bet you, ur psu is very very close to the header for the front panel on the mobo, maybe that would have something to do with it as well.

using a GA-EP45-UD3P currently and Alessandro MS1 headphones, I haven't tried connecting to the mobo, but when connecting to the front panel with volume control at max, I hear nothing at all which is a good thing

my previous mobo was a Biostar AM2 board and when I connected to the mobo, it produced interference at around > 15% volume control. I never tried front panel because I was too noob to properly get it working.

There's interference present even with a sound card, almost same rig as yours. Me thinks the wiring is to be blamed, plus i bet you, ur psu is very very close to the header for the front panel on the mobo, maybe that would have something to do with it as well.

I was following you upto that point. As I recall, the front-panel audio connection on the motherboard lies somewhere between the CPU and the first PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.

We don't all have X-Fi cards in our PCI slots :) In fact, I'm surprised that the cable you have for your front panel reaches that far, because I don't think that mine would make it down to the PCI slot.

Back