Interesting XP x64 quirk

Methadras

Supreme [H]ardness
I was trudging through the environment variables section of my x64 install and I happened to notice that the processor_architecture value shows AMD64. The processor identifier value showes EM64T Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11, GenuineIntel. Has anyone run into this oddity?

Well, I believe the reason for that is due to AMD licensing x64 art to Intel for desktop usage, I believe Intel was the first to come out with 64bit class processors to the server market, but AMD extended that from server to home/workstation. Which AMD licenses to Intel to use that extension.

Just like "x86" is technically i386 (or IA32 now), "x64" is technically AMD64. Linux distros tend to call their 64 bit versions amd64, on the farcry and crysis discs there were i386 and AMD64 folders... not a quirk, just the way it is.

RangerSVT is on the right track here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Quoted from Wikipedia:

History of Intel 64

Historically, AMD has developed and produced processors patterned after Intel's original designs, but with x86-64, roles were reversed: Intel found itself in the position of adopting the architecture which AMD had created as an extension to Intel's own x86 processor line.

I guess it was easiest for Intel to follow AMD into the 64-bit desktop CPU market.

Okay. That's a cool bit of OS/Hardware history. Thanks for the info since it makes it a non-issue.

Back