Interesting thought...

Shambler

Supreme [H]ardness
I wonder how many folders... smoke?

Thought it would be funny to know someone was folding for cancer research, and kickin back a cigarette at the same time.

heh heh :D

Any folding is good folding!

/hesitantly raises hand...

Quitting is easy, I've done it 4 or 5 times now. However, its even easier to pick it back up again. :D

rofl. I'm worried about folding my P3 733 24/7 at 100%... because I really think it will kaboom!

Well, a cure is a cure my friend.

Maybe a cigar on vacation.... but you get more smoke having a night out in a bar.

Another interesting question:

What percentage of folders are men?

It seems to me, for whatever reason, to be a particularly male pursuit--but maybe that's computer enthusiasm in general?

Are there any female folders on this forum?

Does smoking a computer count?

I am not a smoker!

I am male

I fold because the risk we all experience a form of cancer is double that of heart disease.

Another interesting question:

What percentage of folders are men?

It seems to me, for whatever reason, to be a particularly male pursuit--but maybe that's computer enthusiasm in general?

I think the general rule is each team is allowed 1. Although I'm not sure OCAU is using their quota, they might be willing to sell it. :D

Yeah, it's all in the head and willpower !

I stopped smoking 9 years ago cold turkey and I won. It take a lot of willpower to get thru and my advice is to not be shy to ask for advice and support. If you need support, I'm there ;)

Here's some more motivation, just ran some numbers through my head.

$5 a pack X a pack a day = $35/week or $140/month give or take. A new quad can be had for ~$200 + mobo + ram = about 2 months of cigarette money.

Note: these figures are based on Michigan prices. YMMV.

i´ve never smoked, and never will.

a dear uncle of mine, died from lung cancer due to his smoking problem :(

Numbers sound about right, I figure I spend about $260/month or so.
Although have to say folding has helped out a bit leaving less to spend
on addictions. A couple of quads I have justified that way...I tell myself
I won't have that $ to spend on smoking and it's much better spent on "D":D

I don't smoke as some might remember from the other thread about funding for folding. Here cigarettes are more expensive than the cost estimations I see posted. It's a very expensive, very unhealthy habit.

Only one that I know of....

i´ve never smoked, and never will.

a dear uncle of mine, died from lung cancer due to his smoking problem :(

And that would be her....

how about we start up the [H]ard|QuitSmoking club?

GODDAMMIT ALAN!!!!!

How many clubs are we going to have here anyhow?!?!

Of course, if you offer to bring the beer and tamales, I might think about it:)

Gotta quit sometime.....and I suppose it could probably help me fund those quads I've been talking about;)

How many clubs are we going to have here anyhow?!?!

hmm... there should a club for the [H]ard|Ladies too ;)

and yes tamales FTW!! :p

^^ she is the only female I'm aware of on our team. Might be others that never post though. On topic - add me to the "quitter in progress list". After several failed attempts to quit I confident I will not fail this time. Chantix FTW!!

If we start a lot of clubs, we might need to start a club of clubs starters :p

If you quit, hang thought and don't be shy to ask for support if you need it ...

Gotta quit sometime.....and I suppose it could probably help me fund those quads I've been talking about;)

I thought beer and tamales are for the [H]ardMowedOver Club :D

The team name for the stop smoking club could be called "Quit for the Quads" :p

I thought beer and tamales are for the [H]ardMowedOver Club :D

The team name for the stop smoking club could be called "Quit for the Quads" :p

Won't somebody think of the quads? So many of them still need good homes....

I wonder how many folders... smoke?

Thought it would be funny to know someone was folding for cancer research, and kickin back a cigarette at the same time.
heh heh :D
Any folding is good folding!

Personally I think if someone smokes and folds at the same time or whether they are female or not in pretty irrelevant. (the thing about female folders is posted below) It's kinda' like the old deal about guns, if you have a gun you believe in killing people instead of using the weapon as a deterrent. (just like everybody that participated in Nam' was a baby killer :rolleyes:)

My real mother died (God rest her sole) of cancer when she was about 37 years old. (I was on my way to Viet Nam at the time) My mother NEVER smoked, drank or, as far as I know, cussed.
My father died from a heart attack when he was about 65 years old and he was an ex smoker (kools) and was known to drink and cuss sometimes. (so where's the justice?)

I'm in NO WAY saying smoking doesn't cause cancer or firearms don't cause death in humans because sometimes I think they do and I'm in no way affiliated with tobacco or firearms. What I'm trying to say is, IMO, folding is very important to mankind and whether you smoke or don't, are female or not is pretty f*cking irrelevant. Besides that, I thought folding was trying to find a cure for diseases other than cancer and finding a cure for cancer was only a small part of the Stanford University F@H project. :confused:

BTW, Shambler this is NOT an attack on you, it's only my $0.02 cents worth.

Personally I think if someone smokes and folds at the same time or whether they are female or not in pretty irrelevant. (the thing about female folders is posted below) It's kinda' like the old deal about guns, if you have a gun you believe in killing people instead of using the weapon as a deterrent. (just like everybody that participated in Nam' was a baby killer :rolleyes:)

My real mother died (God rest her sole) of cancer when she was about 37 years old. (I was on my way to Viet Nam at the time) My mother NEVER smoked, drank or, as far as I know, cussed.
My father died from a heart attack when he was about 65 years old and he was an ex smoker (kools) and was known to drink and cuss sometimes. (so where's the justice?)

I'm in NO WAY saying smoking doesn't cause cancer or firearms don't cause death in humans because sometimes I think they do and I'm in no way affiliated with tobacco or firearms. What I'm trying to say is, IMO, folding is very important to mankind and whether you smoke or don't, are female or not is pretty f*cking irrelevant. Besides that, I thought folding was trying to find a cure for diseases other than cancer and finding a cure for cancer was only a small part of the Stanford University F@H project. :confused:

BTW, Shambler this is NOT an attack on you, it's only my $0.02 cents worth.

Glad to have you folding on our team, old man! :D

Besides that, I thought folding was trying to find a cure for diseases other than cancer and finding a cure for cancer was only a small part of the Stanford University F@H project. :confused:
Folding will have a practical benefit for those suffering from a range of afflictions besides cancer. Maybe the research will eventually spin off in different directions and new discoveries will be made because of it in areas outside medicine.

Folding will have a practical benefit for those suffering from a range of afflictions besides cancer. Maybe the research will eventually spin off in different directions and new discoveries will be made because of it in areas outside medicine.

yep, like finding the Higgs Boson particle for example :D

yep, like finding the Higgs Boson particle for example :D

Interesting article. Thanks. {an interesting article posted in a thread "interesting thought.} Very interesting.

I found this kinda funny:
All or part of this article may be confusing or unclear.
Please help clarify the article. Suggestions may be on the talk page. (March 2008)

Those Wikipedia guys are so funny!

Interesting article. Thanks. {an interesting article posted in a thread "interesting thought.} Very interesting.

I found this kinda funny:

Those Wikipedia guys are so funny!

well lots of scientific mumbo jumbo, i´m gonna ask a physicist friend of mine that works in the CERN, she is also a girl !! girl power ;)

Back