interesting story about rebate-processing at mfr (via Consumerist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly why I do not buy items with rebates. Even if I do I never bother to send the stuff in because I know they will say that they never received it. It has happened with all the rebates I have ever done. Either no reply or when I do contact them they say they never got it and I have to resend it.

When I buy something with rebate I send the stuff in but not expect to get the check. Yet I always do regardless :)

You must have really bad luck...

This summer I bought computer parts and had 9 rebates to deal with. So far I've received 6 of them. One is currently on it's way, and the other two are received and pending.

It's a shame what happened above though. If the rebate is $50 or less and the item turns out to be a great deal, than I don't mind, but the higher amounts I'll usually avoid.

Never had a problem with MIRs. I generally choose reputable companies to deal with when using them though. Sometimes they take a long time too.

I just received a letter from Trendnet (maker of wireless routers and receivers). I have about 5 rebates in-process for stuff I bought at CompUSA. In the letter, Trendnet "claims" that I forgot to send-in the UPC code(s). But I had it taped to the submittal form on ALL submissions! Fortunately (for me), I photo-copied each submittal before mailing it in, and am mailing their "sorry, please resubmit" letter back w/ a copy of the copy. We'll see if that wakes 'em up- I included a note detailing that the UPC codes had been taped-on! :rolleyes:

If they STILL deny my rebates, I'll submit the details of my experience with them to the BBB- that generally wakes firms up.

this reminds me of about $80 in rebates i haven't mailed off. probably too late too :(

This is exactly why I do not buy items with rebates. Even if I do I never bother to send the stuff in because I know they will say that they never received it. It has happened with all the rebates I have ever done. Either no reply or when I do contact them they say they never got it and I have to resend it.

If the rebate is more than a few bucks, I force them to sign for it. It may cost me 4-6 bucks to do that, but there's no way they can say they didn't get it

Trendnet "claims" that I forgot to send-in the UPC code(s). But I had it taped to the submittal form on ALL submissions! Fortunately (for me), I photo-copied each submittal before mailing it in, and am mailing their "sorry, please resubmit" letter back w/ a copy of the copy. We'll see if that wakes 'em up- I included a note detailing that the UPC codes had been taped-on! :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I do. I literally tape everything onto the rebate form and photocopy it....if I have a digital camera handy, then I photograph it as well. I only had a problem once, so I called the rebate center up. They asked me why I was calling and I litterally said, you're trying to weasel your way out of paying me my rebate. She claimed that I dind't send in the original UPC (which was impossible, since the drive had 2 rebates). I read her what was on my photocopy and after a period on hold, she said they'd made a mistake and my rebate would be sent out...got it within a few days.

If they STILL deny my rebates, I'll submit the details of my experience with them to the BBB- that generally wakes firms up.
[/quote]

Get a number and call them. Mail/email are all well and good, but I find it easier to squeak on the phone ;)

for the pricier rebates i think you can send them registered mail with delivery confirmation. then you'll at least have an argument when they try to say they never got it. cuz otherwise, you're pretty much screwed.

personally, i never take rebates into account. if the price isnt nice enough that i would buy it without the rebate, i wont. that said, it doesnt hurt to send them in for shits and giggles.

CompUSA is under court order to make sure the rebates they offer are paid. It goes back to the QPS fiasco a few years ago. http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/0223278/050603do0223278.pdf

Forget the BBB, complain to the CompUSA first if your resubmission is denied, then complain to the FTC. Complaining to the FTC in this case isn't a waste of time since CompUSA is under the court order above until 2025. :p

----

I sent in one of those rebates last year for $3 on Black Friday for a free multimeter. :p I keep a list of rebates I've sent in and it was paid. Vastech did seem like a shady place though. I wouldn't have bought an item with a large rebate from such an unknown company.

I've had very few problems with rebates over the years. Just this year i've submitted around 30 rebates and all that were due were paid. I have about 5 that I sent this week and a couple submitted about a month ago. I'm pretty happy with rebates.

Wow, thats gotta suck. Hope tehy get themselves sued the hell out. Then have the CEO or who ever is involved marked for soemthign...... as long as it won't allow them to get much money out of life.

I dont know why you folks deal with BBB & the retailers when you dont get your money back. If you make foto copies before mailing & if you dont get the rebate when they say they gonna send it to you, SUE in small claims & make a sample out of them bastards. STOP BUYING SHIAT WITH MIR!!!!:D Consumers are encouraging these funks to steal our money.

I dont know why you folks deal with BBB & the retailers when you dont get your money back. If you make foto copies before mailing & if you dont get the rebate when they say they gonna send it to you, SUE in small claims & make a sample out of them bastards. STOP BUYING SHIAT WITH MIR!!!!:D Consumers are encouraging these funks to steal our money.

No consumers that don't cover their asses with copies and photos and a registered letter are the ones asking to get stolen from. CYA and you WILL get your cash. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back