Interesting Problem

Retne

Limp Gawd
Well ever since I put together a new build I've been having an issue of my system randomly restarting or freezing. When I say random I mean it. I've had it freeze/restart under both full load and at idle.

The first thing I thought of was bad ram. Memtest86+ for 12 hours straight gave me no errors. I reseated it just to be sure. I've been logging the temps of my cores and gpu and it never goes anywhere near danger temps with my cpu hovering around 20-40C depending on load.

Next up on the block was a bad PSU but it was supplying the correct power and tested fine when I brought it in to RMA it. I watched him run the diagnostics and was mildly frustrated it wasn't the problem.

The last thing I've done is updated my bios to the most recent version and just now had a reboot and I am honestly at a loss. Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing here?

System Info:
CPU: Intel i5-2500K
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE Rev 3 - Bios version now 1104
RAM: 2 x 4GB GSkill Ripjaws
PSU: OCZ ZX 1000W
GPU: Geforce GTS 250
2x DVD Drives (I can't remember the brands)
HDDs: 200GB Maxtor; 500GB Seagate; 2TB Western Digital

Any ideas on what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

Swap video card if you have a spare. Also disable automatic restart after system failure (control panel -> system -> advanced system settings -> advanced -> startup and recovery settings -> system failure)

Sadly I don't have a spare card. I think I can get my hands on one though. I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Automatic restart turned off.

I was just saying I turned off the auto restart on system failure.

Okay. I put a new video card in and now the system won't boot. The power light on the mobo turns on but when the power button is pressed nothing happens. This happened the last time I opened the system up and it's what made me think it was the psu. Now my best guess is its the mobo because what else could it be?

I'm at a loss here. Why would it boot one minute then stop after unplugging it, changing stuff around then plugging it back in?

EDIT: It now boots up after leaving the psu plugged in and on for a little bit. Maybe 5 minutes tops. I continue to be mystified by these issues.

Last edited:
Just had the system randomly reboot after swapping out video cards so I think I can rule the card out as the cause. I'm thinking it's the motherboard but I doubt I would be successful RMAing the thing since it does boot and will stay booted for a while before randomly restarting.

Guess I'll give ASUS a call and see if there is anything I can do to make sure it is the mobo that is the issue and not something else but at this point I've pretty much ruled out everything else. If anyone has any ideas on what to do to continue trouble shooting please feel free to chime in.

Are the timing and settings for your ram set manualy or are they left to auto ? If they are in auto
put em in manualy as well as the voltage. It might help.

Back