Interesting Problem.

Epedemic

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, well I got a new cpu today, q9550. So, I install it into my gigabyte ud3p board and I have 2 Diamond 4850s running in crossfire at the stock voltages they came at (630/993) or something like that. So, I install my cpu, not many problems at all.

I'm using win 7 beta rc1 and I never really had any ATI driver issues or anything. So I begin my overclocking journey with the q9550. I started bit by bit and went up to 3.65 Ghz. Ran 3DMark06, for fun, score jumped 5k so I figured I'd be daring and just jump it to 3.8 Ghz and then 4.0 Ghz. It booted on 3.8 and just went straight into the bios and set it at 4 Ghz. It booted up, success so far.

But once I saw my windows 7 screen, I thought I was in safe mode because all the colors were messed up. So I log in and try to go to the catalyst center, and I get an error that says "No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware" and I didn't know why it did that.

The kicker is, when I downclock back to 3.65 Ghz, it's normal again. Anyone know why that is and how I can fix it since it doesn't make sense unless the heatsink is emitting too much heat to the video card and screwing it up?

Thanks for any help.

Have you changed the pci-e speed off 100mhz in the bios? I found on my P5Q that if I would move it to 101, at certain fsb speeds, that I would get ATI driver errors all over the place.

nope, it's at 100 Mhz, didn't move it or anything.

Also before anyone ask, I did load my optimized defaults on my mobo after installing the q9550.

I'm seeing this same problem on a fresh install of a ATI 4890 with a Q9300 running at 3GHz. Haven't tried installing at stock, I guess that comes next. Keep me updated.

Yeah when I installed my q9550, I had to bring my Video Card OC back down. I put it back to normal and I was actually getting a performance increase, so I just increases the clock on the cards a little bit and left them there. Problem not occuring at 3.8 Ghz now, not sure why. Maybe I'll try 4 Ghz again tomorrow, perhaps it might have been a fluke.

I guess if necessary, I have 750W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU.

Back