Interesting paint option...

HitMan-sC

Gawd
My new project will be ready for paint soon, and I've been wondering about different paint options. I want a very durable, glossy finish, and I'm just not sure I can get that with most spray paints. I went to a local NAPA/auto paint distributor, and they can custom mix a quart of paint for me, and I can apply it using a sort of custom "spray can" they have there for $5. It's essentially a glass/plastic cylinder you fill with the paint and such, with a power unit on top that sprays. Would this be a better option? I'm using this article as a guide for painting my case, would I have to do anything different? I'm assuming I'd get some primer and clear coat from them too. To all you painters out there, I could sure use some advice.

HitMan-sC said:
My new project will be ready for paint soon, and I've been wondering about different paint options. I want a very durable, glossy finish, and I'm just not sure I can get that with most spray paints. I went to a local NAPA/auto paint distributor, and they can custom mix a quart of paint for me, and I can apply it using a sort of custom "spray can" they have there for $5. It's essentially a glass/plastic cylinder you fill with the paint and such, with a power unit on top that sprays. Would this be a better option?
First off, I'd like to say that case painting from the start can be daunting as the amount of pure sanding and respraying layers of paint and waiting to dry between coats can take many hours of work.Even spray paint cans will give excellent results as long as you spend the time to make it look nice. Using a sprayer for the paint from mix is great but the only real bonus with that is you will be able to use any combination of colors you like to make the exact match in color you want. Without the extra work to make your paint job shine the sprayer will not be any different than what you can get from a spray can, and besides, spray cans require ZERO cleanup! The spray gun route will require very careful and thorough cleaning to ensure it will work the same way every time. And you will need thinning agent for the paint, the proper mix, and of course plenty of thinner to clean up with. Spray cans are the way to go, and in fact even though I have a compressor, airbrush, and sprayer, I still use spray cans all the time unless the other stuff is needed.

I used that exact same tutorial with a few rattlecans and it did me proud (only found it after i'd wasted about 3 400ml cans on a shit tutorial beforehand) - will be posting pics soon.

If you use a rattlecan and a tack cloth it'll be cheaper and much better than doing an amateur job with a bodged-together airbrush

My only problem is that spray cans are so limited in color selection, and I'm kind of worried about the durability. If I could find that "green ice" color I long for in duplicolor cans or Rustoleum gloss enamel, I'd be happy to go the spray can route. By the way, in my local auto zone and wal mart, there is this stuff by duplicolor called "Truck, Van and SUV" spray that comes in a small variety of colors, but it's a different selection than what you'd usually get in spray cans. There are also touch-up spray paints made by duplicolor with some unique colors. What would you guys say about these paints?

If you use spray cans you will notice that not all of them are created equal. The spray nozzle on the duplicolor products is superior to all others. The nozzle button is soft to the touch (if you use a spray can for more than a minute or 2 you will appreciate this, most are very stiff and will cramp your hand/finger in no time.)
The pattern sprayed by the duplicolor products is also fan shaped like a small spray gun, most others spray a round pattern, which sucks, it wastes paint and makes it much harder to get good even coverage. The finer the spray the better and smoother it looks when applied from a rattle can, duplicolor has a spray mist as fine as some spray equipment I have used.
Superior paints use more pigment so fewer coats and faster drying time. Don't be fooled by the cans that are a dollar less, you will waste more of thier paint with overspray and the lower pigment quantity will force you to use more cans and in the end have poorer results all for more money than using good stuff in the first place. Why make mroe work for yourself for lesser results!!! Spend the extra and get the good stuff.
I have used dozens of brands over the years an nothing even comes close to the duplicolor products, now why they dont put those nozzles on thier metalcast paints I will never know!

.......and no I dont work for duplicolor, but if they are reading this I wouldnt mind a free lifetime supply :)

You might as well, bonz. Hell, with your case mods, you could advertise for duplicolor and probably get something nice out of it :p. Anyways, do you think the Truck, Van & SUV or touch-up paints would work well?

HitMan-sC said:
My only problem is that spray cans are so limited in color selection, and I'm kind of worried about the durability. If I could find that "green ice" color I long for in duplicolor cans or Rustoleum gloss enamel, I'd be happy to go the spray can route. By the way, in my local auto zone and wal mart, there is this stuff by duplicolor called "Truck, Van and SUV" spray that comes in a small variety of colors, but it's a different selection than what you'd usually get in spray cans. There are also touch-up spray paints made by duplicolor with some unique colors. What would you guys say about these paints?
Yeah, those auto store spray cans do work well, when they are brand-name! Like bonzanego said, the cheaper the paint can, the worse your paint will be. I used some spray can "Toyota white" on my replacement Tacoma front fender, and without even sanding, one coat looked almost perfect! After snading, two coats of the paint, primer, and of course clear coat, it turned out better than stock! :cool:
If you are gonna want a unique color that cans can't provide than by all means go with a spray gun setup.

I painted my track car from bare metal up exclusively with duplicolor etching primer, sandable primer, primer sealer, and truck van & suv bright white :)

Just remeber. Spraycans dont have any real paint in them. Most of the cheap ones are laquer. I think rustoleum is enamel. They dont have hardeners in the paint either, so it will never be durable. Trust me, Ive painted many cases, air compressors, some parts of my car, and all of my toolboxes with rattlecans. Painting the toolboxes was a waste, because the damn paint scratches very easily and peels off when you spill nasty chemicals on them.

The most durable paint I can think of is epoxy (corrent me if im wrong). Its popular to use on swimming pools and painting the bottoms of boats. Ive been told it dries hard as glass. Ive also been told its a pain in the ass to paint it on smooth.

MikeDeuce said:
I painted my track car from bare metal up exclusively with duplicolor etching primer, sandable primer, primer sealer, and truck van & suv bright white :)
How long does it last? Im seriously considering repainting my old beat up VW rabbit. The car looks damn nice on the inside, but the shitty peeling paint/rust spots are dead giveaway of its crappyness.

Im talking about just taking a wire-brusher wheel and flap sanding disk, tearing off any of the old paint that doesnt want to stay, sanding the whole car down so the paint is even and not rusty... would it last for a whole year? I dont wanna invest in 50 cans of 93 cent spraypant and a few weeks of 24/7 work for nothing. Im thinking an obnoxiously loud yellow with black stripes :D. Pm me.

There is a place here in San Diego called Tri City Paints that will mix up any color you want and put it into spray cans. I think the last time I did it I got the paint code of my car mixed into 5 cans for about 30 bucks. The nozzle was as Bonz described it, a light to the touch fan pattern. This is definitley the way to go if you can find a good automotive paint supplier in your area to do it. The only thing I'm not sure of is Clear coat, I don't know if the can bottle that or not.

check out http://www.alsacorp.com/

check out their paints&additives section as well as their residential paints section.

It makes me mad that I didn't TIVO the International Home Builders show on HGTV from 3 years ago, they showed a paint system that let you aresol any paint that you had. It was rechargeable too. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the makers of it. :(

Tiny said:
check out http://www.alsacorp.com/

check out their paints&additives section as well as their residential paints section.

It makes me mad that I didn't TIVO the International Home Builders show on HGTV from 3 years ago, they showed a paint system that let you aresol any paint that you had. It was rechargeable too. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the makers of it. :(

Are you talking about one of these? http://www.cyclecolor.com/id57.htm

MikeDeuce said:
Are you talking about one of these? http://www.cyclecolor.com/id57.htm

No quite, but thanks for the link, I bookmarked it.

The one I saw had scew on tops and a base station that you recharged it in, it was three years ago that I saw it so the details are fuzzy on it. I was quart size too.

Now that I know what exactly they are called (thanks to your link) I can go searching for the system that I saw back then. :)

I don't know if any of you have seen this before but I noticed in walmart that in my home town, have started to carry house of colors automotive paint with pearl base and many kandy colors in spray rattle cans a friend of mine paints cars for a living and said that is some of the best paint for the money I hope so I bought $50.00 worth of lime time pearl and the clear coat for it from same company. Here is a link to an online retailer .https://secure39.websitecomplete.com/blackgoldweb/shop/showDept.asp?dept=142

Holy crap! House of Kolor in a can!! That is awesome. You gotta show some pics of whatever you paint with that stuff. Imagine being able to lay down some sweet candy colors on a case without paying an arm and a leg to do it. House of kolor is some of the best automotive paint out there as far as I can remember.

Whatever happened with this? I am looking for a very specific color to color my case and I don't know of any company that would mix paint for me.

Back