Interesting job predicament..

Strykar

Limp Gawd
I am currently working at a callcenter which is very laid back and the people are very awesome, but have been approved for a position which would earn me signifficantly more a year and give me the opportunity to work with exciting new storage systems and actually implement them. I definitely consider myself more of a hands on technician than a phone/email support technician and think the new position would be more interesting.
They are practically the same distance, but I am kind of hesitant to take the plunge. Can anyone help guide me in this situation? I'm keeping the companies anonymous, but they are both very large companies that you've all heard of.

I realize this is probably awkward, but thanks so much for any guidance in advance!

Reading your post, you have made up your mind it seems and need some support on your decision. You make more, you do something more along the lines of what you like, you feel it suits your nature better...

...time to jump in without the floaties.

I say stick with the job that pays less doing something you don't really enjoy doing ... yeah, that's what I would do. :)

[F]old|[H]ard

I say stick with the job that pays less doing something you don't really enjoy doing ... yeah, that's what I would do.

If there is a part of the job that involves a sharp stick in the eye I'd like to apply as well, it sounds great!

(... research as much as possible about the job and company you would be moving to, make sure you leave your current company on good terms, enjoy the adventure)

You didn't offer any negatives for moving to the new job or any positives for staying with your current job. There must be some if you can't make up your mind. If you would care to share those then you may get helpful responses. If there are none...well, essentially you just asked if you had to decide between 5 dollars and 10 dollars which one should you take?

Sounds like you would like the new job. However look at company stability. a great new job that lays you off in 6 months would not be worth the move.

You didn't offer any negatives for moving to the new job or any positives for staying with your current job. There must be some if you can't make up your mind. If you would care to share those then you may get helpful responses. If there are none...well, essentially you just asked if you had to decide between 5 dollars and 10 dollars which one should you take?

sometimes the idea of change can be scary ...and/or if you work with a great group of people , then it can be hard to up and leave them regardless of the situation (better paying job, career advancement ..etc.)

I am a self taught computer tech guy/network administrator/linux support person (the more I learn , the more I realize just how much I don't know) ..and I really enjoy my job and the people I work worth and playing Halo with the teens here when I can,(I work at a school for troubled teens) amongst other things ... the pay for what I do tho is pretty meager , but the other aspects of the job make up for the pay...to me anyways.

so I guess , for me , its not always about the "almighty" dollar...

..if that is possibly some of the unwritten back story as part of the OP's initial reason for asking advice here or not ...I don't know :confused:

[F]old|[H]ard

IMO, go for it.

More pay, better job, what's to loose?

Like others have suggested- I think there is something you didn't mention of what is holding you back (A perk of your current job).

I personally hate helpdesk stuff. I would much rather be doing what you are doing- implementing/managing networks. You don't screw with so many people that have no clue what they are doing. All they do is say its broken- and from then on you don't gotta mess with them. Fix it, everyone is happy.

The IT field has really gotten specialized as well. "Network Security Analyst" for example. You don't have know-it-alls that can do-it-all hardly anymore.

There's nothing wrong with being comfortable and not wanting to just jump at the new job. You have to define for yourself the pros and cons. I expect you'll be looking at things like money, responsibilities, stability, etc.

If there are no strong reasons to stay I can understand why you would want to try this new opportunity. You need to keep growing as long as you are not sacrificing things that are important to you in the name of growth.

I think what the OP is concerned about is finding that he may end up not liking the new job for reasons x y or z. Basically, I think there is concern for not being able to establish the kind of friendships he has now with his current job, or finding out that his new boss is a complete and utter jackass. I don't think the OP would have considered even questioning it if he already knew the company was somewhat fishy or had a bad reputation. Every company is going to have a bad image on it for one reason or another, but what needs to be looked into specifically is the way employees are treated. Obviously if it's a slavedriving kind of environment, it'd probably be best to stick it out with the current job until something better comes along. No amount of money is worth your self respect or being treated like shit.

but what needs to be looked into specifically is the way employees are treated. Obviously if it's a slavedriving kind of environment,

And for the record, sometimes it's hard to tell at first glance. For instead, I have free lunch everyday at work (as well as breakfast and dinner if I'm in/out that early/late) and access to the on-site gym 24/7. Sounds great doesn't it.... but the perks are there because they expect their people to be at the office constantly.

And for the record, sometimes it's hard to tell at first glance. For instead, I have free lunch everyday at work (as well as breakfast and dinner if I'm in/out that early/late) and access to the on-site gym 24/7. Sounds great doesn't it.... but the perks are there because they expect their people to be at the office constantly.

Free breakfast and dinner and access to a gym??? Where do you work at hotel??

That's crazy. I rented an office once that had on-site gym access, but they sure as hell didn't feed me for free??? wow, must be nice

Someone once told me that the perks are there to outweigh how bad the job/company is, so be careful!

Free breakfast and dinner and access to a gym??? Where do you work at hotel??

Hedge Fund.

Someone once told me that the perks are there to outweigh how bad the job/company is, so be careful!

10 to 11 hour days. Traders and Qaunts have been known to do 12-15 hours at the office, granted they can pull anywhere from 5x to 50x my base salary in a year.

Hedge Fund.

10 to 11 hour days. Traders and Qaunts have been known to do 12-15 hours at the office, granted they can pull anywhere from 5x to 50x my base salary in a year.

I suppose when the company makes millions with little overhead they have tons to spend on their money-makers. Must be nice...
I hate you...

jk lol.
Sweet job. Stressful I'm sure though

I agree. I was half tempted to go into a big long rant of my experience at Best Buy, in which I essentially felt like I was a corporate slave among others instead of a human being, but I'll spare the post and save it for the Soapbox, if I ever do it at all.

I'll leave it at this much though - Other than the friends I made at Best Buy, I really can't say my job there was rewarding. Company outings near employees-rating-the-company time do not, in my mind, fall under the category of perks, nor do fulfilling rulebook obligations of acknowledging a subordinate's hard work at least once a week. A perk to me would be acknowledging the fact that I just did the work of five people by myself (which I did everyday I worked) and at the very least offering me a soda and fifteen minutes to recover.

Yes, I am afraid I would not be able to make the same kind of friendships or work in the same environment, but for the sake of advancing my knowledge, I think I'm going to jump ship. It's a great opportunity to work with things I've never touched, rather than supporting the same old web apps all day.

A call center is always in need of staff. Leave on good terms and if the other job doesn't work out you most likely will be able to go back to your old job.

A good manager would understand that you have an opportunity for advancement. If they don't want to take you back then maybe they weren't the company you thought they were.

A call center is always in need of staff. Leave on good terms and if the other job doesn't work out you most likely will be able to go back to your old job.

A good manager would understand that you have an opportunity for advancement. If they don't want to take you back then maybe they weren't the company you thought they were.

QFT. Besides, it's not like that manager can blame you. I mean, c'mon, they're a manager. They had to have left something at some point for something better, which is why they're manager now, correct? They're no less guilty of taking up the opportunity for advancement.

Call centers are always hiring. It doesn't matter if they're help desk centers, telemarketers, or phone sex operators.

Back