Interesting HSF observation

Dude

Limp Gawd
To make a long story short. I've found that having my MB horizontal vice vertical made my core temps drop by about 20 degrees. No typo, 20 freakin degrees. I guess the clip on the heat sink really sucks at keeping the thing square and even against the core. It's friggin amazing, my crappy volcano 9 with the fan turned down nice and quiet (3500 rpm) is keeping my core within 5 degrees of the case temp.

temp2_sm.jpg

That must be a pretty weak clip. There may also be different airflow patterns when you rotate the case, possibly affecting actual and measured temps.

Ok.... as of last night, my conclusion is that the clip on the Volcano 9 fucking _sucks_.

I'm sorry, but its just terrible. It took me about an hour and a half to get that thing on there properly, and well, it still wiggles and I really don't like that.

It's just too big.

Running it on an NF7-S at 40c idle stock clocks (barton 2500+). AS3 too.

Not a great temp for this cooler, but i'm running the fan at 2000rpm, so I can't hear a thing. ;)

Once you get the thing on, and its not sitting off of the socket, it'll work great. But it took me about 10 tries last night.

edit: some photos from when I put my system together last night.

v9_duct03.jpg

v9_duct01.jpg

v9_duct02.jpg

Originally posted by zer0signal667
That must be a pretty weak clip. There may also be different airflow patterns when you rotate the case, possibly affecting actual and measured temps.

Yea, the clip just plain sucks as mentioned above. It's a pain in the ass to get on, and when you do get it on, it holds for shit. It's working great now, but I'm afraid to move my case for fear of losing these sweet temps. I guess some odd change in airfolw could also explain some of the difference, as a 20 degree change (as measured) seems extreme. The case is moved out of it's normal cubby hole, so it is probably exhausting more efficiently.

BTW angrybusdriver, where did you score that sweet fan duct?

UPDATE:
Well I figured I would tempt fate and stand the box back up....stupid....temp is back to 38 at idle. Still not too bad I guess.

Yep yep. Not only did it drop my temps 2 degress, I noticed a different noise, too. I don't know if it's quieter (definitely not louder), but it's a lower pitch and is very smooth.

If you're canadian, it's on sale at www.bigfootcomputers.com right now, I do believe.

angrybusdriver: i tried the Thermaltake duct using an 80mm aluminum Evercool fan (had to snip and bend the Volcano 7+'s 70mm housing to fit it) and got a rediculous temperature rise. from 40 idle originally, to 65+ which is where i said OK NO and turned off the comp. i thought for sure i goofed up with the thermal paste or seating, but its just fine without the duct, with the Evercool 80mm or Thermaltake 70mm.

now that i see Dude's problem, i'm wondering if the thing was pulling the sink off the core. you never had the problem he does? ill try again in the next couple days and leave my case horizontal.

I had my case horizontal when I took that photo of the bios temps.

As of right now, with my case up for about 3 days, my temp has only gone up ` degress (now idling at 40).

I expected atleast 1 degree, aswell, considering the break-in time that Arctic Silver 3 requires.

Every now and then when I'm in my case, i wiggle the HSF around a bit just to see how tight it is. It's sitting on there pretty snug right now, I can only rotate it a tiny, tiny bit; nothing to be worried about if you ask me.

The clip on the NF7-S rev2 is Southbridge latch, and Northbridge clip. (I'm making stuff up, I know, but what I mean is that you do the flat screwdriver thing on the top side of the board).

So with the clip like that, I don't have to worry about it falling off or anything, since it's on there quite tight AND if anything, it's hanging from the most secure part.

Oh, and yeah, if I take the duct off and try my temps sometime, and they're lower, I'll use this as a PSU chimney :D good idea!

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
I had my case horizontal when I took that photo of the bios temps.

As of right now, with my case up for about 3 days, my temp has only gone up ` degress (now idling at 40).

I expected atleast 1 degree, aswell, considering the break-in time that Arctic Silver 3 requires.

Every now and then when I'm in my case, i wiggle the HSF around a bit just to see how tight it is. It's sitting on there pretty snug right now, I can only rotate it a tiny, tiny bit; nothing to be worried about if you ask me.

The clip on the NF7-S rev2 is Southbridge latch, and Northbridge clip. (I'm making stuff up, I know, but what I mean is that you do the flat screwdriver thing on the top side of the board).

So with the clip like that, I don't have to worry about it falling off or anything, since it's on there quite tight AND if anything, it's hanging from the most secure part.

Oh, and yeah, if I take the duct off and try my temps sometime, and they're lower, I'll use this as a PSU chimney :D good idea!

Did you switch the clip around? It is made to go on only one way, you will notice that the pressure point is not in the middle, it is off to one side, this is so that the pressure of the clip is right over the core, if you switch the clip around the center of force will be off to the side of the core and cause your heatsink not to sit flush on the core which will cause your temps to rise.

Even though it is not as easy to put on it must be placed so that the clips pressur point is over the core. The longer side should go over the cam on the socket, that is where the relief in the bottom of the heatsink is. The clip is not reversable!

Yep, it's on there right. I put it on per Abit's specifications.

They noted that the socket was made to only accept significant force on one side, so I just followed the manual.

It wouldn't make sense doing it the other way anyways, latching on the top side.

Back