Interesting ESXi "deploy ova" bug

danswartz

2[H]4U
Have a working ubuntu 12 VM (ESXi 5.0 latest). I export it and re-deploy to get a copy, which I wanted to tweak and play with some HA stuff. Wouldn't boot (no Operating System found). After much poking around, I discover that I configured the original ubuntu as EFI not BIOS. The bug: when exporting such a VM and deploying it, apparently the config for the new VM says "BIOS" not "EFI"? Am I out to lunch here?

5.1? You have to tell it to export those features as well - they may not be compatible, so it chooses by default to export a default bios/etc setup. It's in advanced settings of the export, web client.

No, 5.0. I understand there might be compatibility issues, but the export command shouldn't just blithely create an OVA that can't be used with no error messages, I would think?

No, 5.0. I understand there might be compatibility issues, but the export command shouldn't just blithely create an OVA that can't be used with no error messages, I would think?

EFI boot / etc are not part of the open format - by default, it exports in a pure "open format" VM file. You ahve to enable the advanced feature to export something that doesn't comply with the format :)

Back