infocalypse
n00b
- Joined
- Jun 14, 2004
- Messages
- 57
Given that so many of us are playing with 2005fpw and 2405fpw's, along with other widescreen and uber-large displays, I thought you folks might find this article interesting:
http://techreport.com/etc/2005q3/hires-gaming/index.x?pg=1
Apparently, the X800 and 6800 family of chips are all pretty much optimized for 2 megapixel (or less) operation, while the 7800 series cards are optimized for much better performance at massive resolutions. Exceeding the 2 megapixel barrier can seriously reduce GPU efficiency overall, moreso than you'd think from just the logic behind pushing more pixels. In the conclusion, they even go so far as to say "The GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI rig, in particular, suffers mightily at three megapixels, so that you're almost better off with a single 7800 GTX".
Given that 1920x1200 = 2.3 megapixels, I wonder if us 2405fpw users might get some serious benefits from running games in 1680x1050 (1.7 megapixel, native res for 2005fpw) instead. I haven't had time to benchmark this yet, but I am curious. I haven't played with the 2405fpw's scaling ability, but most people seem to think it's remarkably good, so this could be a worthwhile FPS boost for a mostly negligable loss in image quality.
Anyone with a 6800 ultra or an X800 wanna do some widescreen benchmarks and see?
http://techreport.com/etc/2005q3/hires-gaming/index.x?pg=1
Apparently, the X800 and 6800 family of chips are all pretty much optimized for 2 megapixel (or less) operation, while the 7800 series cards are optimized for much better performance at massive resolutions. Exceeding the 2 megapixel barrier can seriously reduce GPU efficiency overall, moreso than you'd think from just the logic behind pushing more pixels. In the conclusion, they even go so far as to say "The GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI rig, in particular, suffers mightily at three megapixels, so that you're almost better off with a single 7800 GTX".
Given that 1920x1200 = 2.3 megapixels, I wonder if us 2405fpw users might get some serious benefits from running games in 1680x1050 (1.7 megapixel, native res for 2005fpw) instead. I haven't had time to benchmark this yet, but I am curious. I haven't played with the 2405fpw's scaling ability, but most people seem to think it's remarkably good, so this could be a worthwhile FPS boost for a mostly negligable loss in image quality.
Anyone with a 6800 ultra or an X800 wanna do some widescreen benchmarks and see?