Intereseting S3 Sleep problem

pdp76

Weaksauce
I have a MSI G31TM-P21 running Win 7 Pro and while it's not a top of the line mobo, it's been running like a champ for me for the last 7 months or so... until now.

Before, when I put the computer to sleep all the fans would turn off and everything is silent and only the power LED is blinking.

Now, when I put it to sleep, the PSU, case, and CPU fans keep spinning AND the HDD light keeps blinking. I know everyone's first thought would be that I'm using S1, but nope, it's definitely in S3 because I hadn't changed the BIOS settings from since before when it used to work... I even double checked the BIOS again and it was still S3. The HDDs seem to be powered off despite the HDD light blinking. Also, the fans do seem to slow down a little bit though I'm not 100% sure about that one.

Despite all this weirdness, it does seem to resume from sleep without any issue.

Does this sound like a Windows, motherboard, or PSU problem?

Make sure nothing is set to wake the computer in device manager such as the mouse and keyboard or anything else that could be used to wake the computer. Right click on the devices and go to the power management tab ans un-click both options. Might be the mouse though I remember mine doing the same with a different board.

sounds like something in the windows power settings.. ive had the same thing happen with my computer.. though usually its due to temps.. my fans and psu will continue to run for about 45 seconds til the psu cools down then everything shuts off..

Make sure nothing is set to wake the computer in device manager such as the mouse and keyboard or anything else that could be used to wake the computer. Right click on the devices and go to the power management tab ans un-click both options. Might be the mouse though I remember mine doing the same with a different board.
Actually Windows was the last possibility I thought it might be because I've already disabled all the wake by USBs and it didn't help.

sounds like something in the windows power settings.. ive had the same thing happen with my computer.. though usually its due to temps.. my fans and psu will continue to run for about 45 seconds til the psu cools down then everything shuts off..
What field in the power settings would affect this? If the fans keep waiting for the PSU to cool down, wouldn't that suggest a PSU problem and not a Windows problem? Another thing that suggests a PSU problem is something I just noticed... when the fans are spinning in S3 sleep state, I can hear a faint ticking sound, which I believe is coming from the PSU. The HDD light is blinking in sync with this ticking sound. Maybe I'll just get another PSU and try it out.

Thanks for the replies so far, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know, thanks!

When I first built my computer everything would turn off when I put it to sleep. A few weeks ago it started not really going to sleep like your computer. I looked at the power settings and I had changed the setting to never sleep and forgot to change it back. I changed it to sleep after 30 minutes and now it goes to sleep like it should. I don't know if this is your problem but it fixed my problem.

I got a different PSU installed and that seemed to have fixed it. I guess something broke in the PSU which caused it to not turn off its fan or turn off other fans in the system while in S3 sleep. The really interesting thing was the HDD light blinking, I suppose that was just the mobo's reaction to the flaky power supply, glad the mobo (or CPU) didn't fail or burn out because of it! Anyway, thanks for the input regardless!

I got a different PSU installed and that seemed to have fixed it. I guess something broke in the PSU which caused it to not turn off its fan or turn off other fans in the system while in S3 sleep. The really interesting thing was the HDD light blinking, I suppose that was just the mobo's reaction to the flaky power supply, glad the mobo (or CPU) didn't fail or burn out because of it! Anyway, thanks for the input regardless!

interesting.. good to see its working now..

Back