Interactive map software

Sayth

Gawd
I'm looking for FREE software that allows me to create a map of Canada and create a point of interest (POI) that will pop up with a description of that POI's status in a project.

Similar to this: http://www.yourchildlearns.com/canada_map.htm
but instead of Province and Capital, I place the mouse over or click on a city and it would say what I input. Such as: "Still in development", " Signed off" Etc... Hopefully something that doesn't involve HTML coding or anything complicated.

Wow this is harder to explain than I thought. Just wondering if anyone knows anythign off hand... I'm going to continue looking.

Yeah I saw that website... then i saw this: Price

Thanks
I'm really looking for free though... Might just use Google maps... but was hoping for something offline too.

I wonder if Sourceforge has something you want. I think I'm gonna have a look-see.

You want MapGuide.
It used to be an AutoDesk product, but is now open source.

I know of a handful of cities that use this tech very successfully and integrate it with common GIS data.

You may have to do some coding or if you are lucky, there are built in templates for this. I do some Web Mapping development here at work, but not on the MapGuide platform.

http://mapguide.osgeo.org/

or maybe for something as simple as you want to do, just create an image map using a picture of the map you want

Thanks Odoe, but I think I found a great tool!

Excel to GE

This tool (if you sift through the terrible documentation and find the example Excel file) is nearly perfect. It allows you to input an address into an Excel file and using macros it will find the coordinates automatically and plot it on a Google Earth KML file. Load up that KML file and you can see all your Excel addresses right on Google Earth! Not too bad!

The only other thing I need to try to get it to do is allow me to choose the colour of dot (or marker) for each location. That way I can use a colour to mark the status of each location.

My VB skills are dull but I'll try and see what I get. I'll post any progress here for anyone interested. If someone else can figure it out let us know! Thanks

Back