Interactive Games Count As Exercise

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
The latest issue of the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine says that interactive games are good for kids. Researchers stated that the level of intensity offered in these interactive games is "consistent with current physical activity recommendations for children."

"Active video games have the potential to increase energy expenditure during otherwise sedentary video gaming and may provide a viable adjunct to more traditional exercise," the authors write. "The potential of these games to promote fitness and extended periods of moderate to vigorous activity in normal and overweight youth has not been evaluated."
 
Not to agree with them but my wife bought biggest loser and wii fit for the wii i tried to play them.and omg they beat my ass lol
 
I'll have to dig up the picture but in 1998 - 2000 I had a stationary bike with a keyboard / mouse on the handlebars. . . .should have patented that ;)
 
A few rounds in multiplayer Boom Blox on the Wii is enough to make my arm sore the next day.

An hour of drums in Rockband on hard-expert isn't exactly couch potato status either.
 
Um, no.. It helps, but... no, it's not. Do these games come with 'fresh outside air' too? If someone says "open a window" I'd love to kick their ass. I love games as much as any of you, but come on!
 
I played that Just Dance 2 game for the Wii, and holy crap I nearly had a heart attack after it was over... needless to say its good cardio... but no way I could keep that up for 30 minutes, so ultimately its ineffective cardio.
 
Yeah right. and beating off counts as sex to nerds too.
 
they needed to do a study for this?

You get up off the sofa and move around, it's going to help.

All of us who went through the DDR/ITG era know just how good an "interactive" console game can be. Most of those have a "fitness" or "endless" mode and you just keep going until you either totally fail or fall over! Even, say, doing 6-8 footer for an hour straight. I know I can still do it on good days (I do have disabilities so I have really BAD days) and I know it burns calories, works muscles (don't flatfoot, keep stomach held in), works up a sweat and when you're done your legs feel like jelly, your heart's pounding, but you just had a great time. And got exercise!

It's not the old aerobics classes days and I've never been a jogger - I only run if I HAVE to and hopefully it won't be far. But again, anything to get people moving is a good thing. Just don't try playing the entire game in your first couple shots unless you're already in great shape.
 
imagine if they had a treadmill-esque accessory that you'd have to use while playing GTA :D

I'd give that a go. Be an easier way to get me on a treadmill. Then again if I'd just buy another TV for the treadmill it wouldn't be a problem either. I just get so bored.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
In games like Elder Scrolls where you actually develop your character, exercise integration would make sense. Some Wii games are good exercise, but most are just an excuse for you to exercise. To really bring me back it needs to add to the game, otherwise just like exercise, it gets boring.

Many times I have just sat there and had my character jump to build acrobatics skill, or run, or whatever. Press "e" over and over, or just hit "q" to run continuously. Imagine if you had to actually go through the motions yourself in these games. The integration of swordplay and other weapons with the Wii controllers, or Move, or Kinect would be great. IF properly implemented.

Most of these big games are shooting for cross-platform wide appeal though, so this type of integration is unlikely.
 
My 5 year old loves Kinect Sports right now. Before that it was the Kinect dance game.

Lately all I hear is "I want to play the sports game!" She likes the track and field portion the best. It can get tiring after a few times through for someone like me who works too much behind a desk and is chronically under-exercised.
 
The Kinect Sports game is awesome. The dance game is rated 10+. Any particular reason?
 
The Kinect Sports game is awesome. The dance game is rated 10+. Any particular reason?

Some of the dancing and the song lyrics are a little....PG13. A bit suggestive. It is dancing. And some of the women / outfits are kinda skimpy. I can see 10+. We just make sure we don't let her do any of the bad songs / dicey outfits.
 
The big piece of the puzzle that this subject misses: imagination.
When kids go outside and play, they not only get exercise, they engage their brain in creating imaginary worlds where they play soldier, play house or fight dragons or whatever.

This is the aspect of any video-related activity that most of these studies forget to look at.

Just like TV or movie vs. book, the lack of a need to engage the imagination will stunt that child's development.
Anything presented visually limits the child's need to create.

Short attention spans, lack of real imagination and an inability to comprehend the abstract are already very apparent in "kids these days".
This only gets worse as time goes on.
 
"consistent with current physical activity recommendations for children."

Then those need to be fucking changed.

Don't get me wrong, any step in the right direction is an awesome step - but "interactive games" stand in for "activity" in the same manner as a "lean cuisine" stands in for food. Sure, it might help you towards your goals, but it's not real food, and it lacks many of the benefits of real food. Wii sports != real sports period.
 
Back
Top