Intel's Plan to beat AMD

It's been widely circulated for a while. Comet lake is basically just 14nm Coffee Lake again, but with Hyper Threading enabled, where they disabled it last time (i3, i5, i7) and a new i9 part with 10 cores/20 threads.

So the only really new thing in the 10c/20t i9. The rest of the lineup is probably the same dies, just with HT re-enabled in a new socket.

I thought their plan was to hire all the tech journalists then have them spin I mean market the hell out of inferior products

Any plan needs to get 7nm silicon working in the next 18 months. Even that will have them behind but will make it easier to compete.

Intel don't need to do anything really to keep afloat as long as they keep providing Apple with processors. The only way Intel would be in any real trouble is if Apple decided to go to AMD for the CPU's - which could happen as the GPU's are generally AMD products in the Pro ranges.

The only way Intel would be in any real trouble is if Apple decided to go to AMD for the CPU's

Apple is in transition to go with Apple CPUs with ARM cores in their Macbook pros

Last edited:
Apple is in transition to go with Apple CPUs with ARM cores

Speculation/Rumors have been claiming ARM Mac's are coming "soon" for about a decade.

Intel shooting both their feet off with a howitzer, has intensified those rumors.

But I'll believe it when I see something from Apple.

Intel don't need to do anything really to keep afloat as long as they keep providing Apple with processors. The only way Intel would be in any real trouble is if Apple decided to go to AMD for the CPU's - which could happen as the GPU's are generally AMD products in the Pro ranges.

What? Apple makes up less than 10% of the market on laptops and desktops and effectively none of the market for enterprise or datacenters. (Which is where the big money is)

Why are you saying way less than 10% of the overall CPU market would keep the giant afloat?

How is this comparatively niche market buying CPU's to resell supposed to keep Intel afloat? Intels market cap is over 250 billion while apple is 1 trillion or close.. But Apple isn't buying 256 billion worth of CPU's. I think you're... probably being snarky... nevermind.

So Intel's plan is to grudgingly enable a feature (hyper-threading) that has been with us since the Pentium 4 on CPUs that only had it disabled for purposes of artificial market segmentation.

They are falling so far behind on core count, I would not be surprised if this is actually part of a larger marketing effort on their part to focus on the number of logical cores as oposed to physical cores.

It's been widely circulated for a while. Comet lake is basically just 14nm Coffee Lake again, but with Hyper Threading enabled, where they disabled it last time (i3, i5, i7) and a new i9 part with 10 cores/20 threads.

So the only really new thing in the 10c/20t i9. The rest of the lineup is probably the same dies, just with HT re-enabled in a new socket.

i3 == same die as old 7700K, i5 == same die as old 8700k, i7 == same as 9900k. You are absolutely right. Intel has been selling the same exact silicon as brand new architecture for three+ years/

Back