Intel's 45nm

perplex

Gawd
OK so we know 65nm will be around end of Q4 2005 at earliest, with Q1 2006 being more likely. So when do you guys think 45nm will be released by Intel? I was thinking it would be H2 2007 at earliest. I wonder if Merom goes 45nm?

By end of 65nm CPUs I think Intel will have really reduced power consumption and said goodbye to the Prescott CPU power consumption for good. Hopefully with 45nm we'll see nearly double the battery time with laptops.

Maybe we're heading for passively cooled CPUs by 2010? with only overclockers using conventional cooling methods.

perplex said:
Hopefully with 45nm we'll see nearly double the battery time with laptops.

That would sure be nice, but the CPU isn't the main power draw on laptops. (Generally speaking.)

H2 2007 would be the absolute earliest I think, but I'd wager sometime in 2008 is probably more realistic.

Josh_B said:
That would sure be nice, but the CPU isn't the main power draw on laptops. (Generally speaking.)

Tis true. Screen + HDD are the killers, not to mention big fat gfx cards if your that way inclined.

With OLED and FLASH hdds, laptops will get way better battery life, although a new CPU design couldnt hurt :)

tdg said:
H2 2007 would be the absolute earliest I think, but I'd wager sometime in 2008 is probably more realistic.
Being that it's been said that Intel's 45nm process is ready to go and that one of the fabs are being prepped for the 45nm process, i would say H2 of 2007.

Josh_B said:

yeh i started thinking this. but 2.5" inch hard disks cant be consuming That much, they're rating around 3W if that. is it because of the time they spend spinning? i wonder how much power lcd screens take. when i mentioned the battery time i meant for laptops that are medium spec, not including 7800 GO etc... but Intel integrated :cool:

Intel's 45nm process should be a big improvement over their 90nm and 65nm techs. The use of high-k dielectrics and tri-gate transistors mean current leakage will be vastly improved. You can read more about the new transistor techs here.

surely once Intel sorts out all the leakage, gets rid of the old architecture and brings in Merom and then the 45nm CPUs afterwards, they have a good chance in taking the lead in performance once again.

perplex said:
yeh i started thinking this. but 2.5" inch hard disks cant be consuming That much, they're rating around 3W if that. is it because of the time they spend spinning? i wonder how much power lcd screens take. when i mentioned the battery time i meant for laptops that are medium spec, not including 7800 GO etc... but Intel integrated :cool:
3 watts out of a battery that holds say 80WHr(pulled from dells website for 9 cell battery), so running JUST the hdd would last you about 27 hours, 1 gb of ddr2 would be about another watt and iirc dual cathode inverters consume about 3 watts, so just powering all of that brings it down to 17 hours. the chipset, and video card consumes more power then the cpu does probably

perplex said:
surely once Intel sorts out all the leakage, gets rid of the old architecture and brings in Merom and then the 45nm CPUs afterwards, they have a good chance in taking the lead in performance once again.
dothan already has the lead in performance, but not at stock

ryuji said:
dothan already has the lead in performance, but not at stock

and it looks like Intel is heading towards the Dothan type of architecture, so only good things can come from this decision. especially with the further minituarisation in process technology.

i dont understand why more people do not run dothans, they oc to 3 ghz pretty often if you get 730's and performance is huge esp with 250 fsb, looking at superpi it took 3.5 ghz opteron to beat a 3 ghz dothan

not my system, forget where i even got the ss, but i happened upon the same score on a opteron, took 3.5 ghz

whats amasing is that 3 ghz oc was on air cooling, the opteron looks like it was on phase

ryuji said:
i dont understand why more people do not run dothans, they oc to 3 ghz pretty often if you get 730's and performance is huge esp with 250 fsb, looking at superpi it took 3.5 ghz opteron to beat a 3 ghz dothan

not my system, forget where i even got the ss, but i happened upon the same score on a opteron, took 3.5 ghz

whats amasing is that 3 ghz oc was on air cooling, the opteron looks like it was on phase

yep, reason is cause of lack of affordable motherboards imo. Dothan just beats ass with a vengeance

Dothan isn't an all around good performer. It's good in games and superpi, but that's not all there is to life. I do lots of encoding on my machine.

Jonsey said:
Dothan isn't an all around good performer. It's good in games and superpi, but that's not all there is to life. I do lots of encoding on my machine.
That's why Intel is tweaking it. It has been said that the Yonah and beyond has a better FPU boosting performance in workstation apps. They kinda have to b/c they are marketing some variants of it as workstation class. It should be really good.

yeh.. Intel hit something good with Dothan and they realised it themselves. i hope Intel really does sort themselves out by end of 2006, otherwise AMD will just stay best at performance and even more people will realise this. i'm not pro-AMD or pro-Intel, its just at the moment AMD doesnt have competition as far as performance goes at all.

dothan is far from slow in other tasks, its all round good but it just doesnt pwn as much, if your encoding video you dont want a a64 anyhow most people who bought single core a64s bought them because of gaming performance, nothing more, thats all a64s are better then equivalent intel cpus at, they are especially better at encoding video, and even kyle complained about the lost multitasking ability going to a64

for the other tasks, you look at benchmarks of stock dothans/dothans with low fsb? OF COURSE a low fsb cpu is going to get its ass kicked in video encoding, but nowdays with 533 dothans, you get 250+mhz fsb, problem solved :) also, in video encoding from what i have seen dothan isnt much worse then a a64 is, if you look at say the winrar performance dothans ontop, and stuff like photoshop its one of the top performers

when i get my dothan setup i can run some benchmarks/whatever you want if your curious

dothan also doesnt have to be expensive, p4c800-e, ct-479 and cpu for under $500 total

ryuji said:
dothan is far from slow in other tasks, its all round good but it just doesnt pwn as much, if your encoding video you dont want a a64 anyhow most people who bought single core a64s bought them because of gaming performance, nothing more, thats all a64s are better then equivalent intel cpus at, they are especially better at encoding video, and even kyle complained about the lost multitasking ability going to a64

for the other tasks, you look at benchmarks of stock dothans/dothans with low fsb? OF COURSE a low fsb cpu is going to get its ass kicked in video encoding, but nowdays with 533 dothans, you get 250+mhz fsb, problem solved :) also, in video encoding from what i have seen dothan isnt much worse then a a64 is, if you look at say the winrar performance dothans ontop, and stuff like photoshop its one of the top performers

when i get my dothan setup i can run some benchmarks/whatever you want if your curious

dothan also doesnt have to be expensive, p4c800-e, ct-479 and cpu for under $500 total

thats expensive for me rofl. I like to spend under $250 for cpu+mobo :p

ryuji said:
then get a p4p800se instead of a p4c

lack of good matx mobos :( or I would go celeron M (cheap as hell, only like $85, and can hit around 2.4ish)

ryuji said:

You can get an X2 3800+ and board for $450.

Nobody I know would pay an extra $50 to lose a core.

ryuji said:

First off, most people dont move to Dothan because of the work involved with the running of dothan. You gotta do alotta mods and stuff to get it going solid. Most people just wanna build it and tweak it. also your stuck on AGP with dothan, for the most part, so most people wont wanna go that way. And Second, ive talked to Gautam, a BIG dothan guy, and he had issues getting a 730 over 2.7ghz, some of the 730's he got were even worse, not even doing 2.5ghz. its still a crapshoot.

ryuji said:

That opteron had its memory at ddr500 only, bump the ram to like ddr550, and its a WHOLE different ball game.

ryuji said:

The 3ghz oc mighta been on aircooling, but that chip is rare. the opterons put out alotta heat, so you hafta use phase change to get clocks like that. if the opterons ran as cool as dothan, then aircooling would suffice for clocks like that.

robberbaron said:
You can get an X2 3800+ and board for $450.

Nobody I know would pay an extra $50 to lose a core.
i was just throwing numbers, the p4c800-e costs $120-180 to buy, if you were to get the p4p800SE which is next best thing for ocing dothans, it would cost $80, $50 adapter, $120 laptop pull off of ebay(730's oc the best aside from the 770/780, and are the cheapest)

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
First off, most people dont move to Dothan because of the work involved with the running of dothan. You gotta do alotta mods and stuff to get it going solid. Most people just wanna build it and tweak it. also your stuck on AGP with dothan, for the most part, so most people wont wanna go that way. And Second, ive talked to Gautam, a BIG dothan guy, and he had issues getting a 730 over 2.7ghz, some of the 730's he got were even worse, not even doing 2.5ghz. its still a crapshoot.
the 770/780's pretty reliably hit 2.8/3 ghz, and i have a tested proven cpu at my disposal, tested to do 260fsb, over 3 ghz, so if the 730 doesnt oc nice, ill revert to that cpu

what mods to make it stable? with a p4c800-e the mobos more then capable

ryuji said:
the 770/780's pretty reliably hit 2.8/3 ghz, and i have a tested proven cpu at my disposal, tested to do 260fsb, over 3 ghz, so if the 730 doesnt oc nice, ill revert to that cpu

what mods to make it stable? with a p4c800-e the mobos more then capable

well, vdimm mods, pinmodding the chip, vdroop mods, modding the adapter and etc. and the 770's and 780's are completely different CPUs. a regular 730 you buy everyday from ebay can be a BIG gamble.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
well, vdimm mods, pinmodding the chip, vdroop mods, modding the adapter and etc. and the 770's and 780's are completely different CPUs. a regular 730 you buy everyday from ebay can be a BIG gamble.
volt and droop mods on the p4c800-e isnt hard... pin mods? why? the p4c800-e supports voltage to spare, ddr booster for the win

the 730 im getting is right now living its life seriously undervolted and 100% stable in a dell 9300 laptop, i think hes got it at 1 volt

ill hold you up to the current 730's being garbage, but the early ones were gems, and thats exactly what im getting, i was thinking the problems ppl were recently having with ocing 730's being ust bad luck, ohwell

you need to mod the ct479 for upgraded coolers. and vmodding a mobo is not mainstream which is why p-m isn't more popular along with price

ryuji said:
volt and droop mods on the p4c800-e isnt hard... pin mods? why? the p4c800-e supports voltage to spare, ddr booster for the win

the 730 im getting is right now living its life seriously undervolted and 100% stable in a dell 9300 laptop, i think hes got it at 1 volt

ill hold you up to the current 730's being garbage, but the early ones were gems, and thats exactly what im getting, i was thinking the problems ppl were recently having with ocing 730's being ust bad luck, ohwell

lol, 1 volt...

try 0.716V :p

sabrewolf732 said:
thats expensive for me rofl. I like to spend under $250 for cpu+mobo :p
My Celeron M 350J cost me $30, P4P800SE was $100 and CT-479 was $42 - running at 2.4GHz it delivers a ton of performance for $172. :)

Josh_B said:

Unless you are actually using your CPU, and then it can become the primary consumer of energy. IIRC, you're looking at 20W load or so for a Dothan, right?

Talonz said:
Unless you are actually using your CPU, and then it can become the primary consumer of energy. IIRC, you're looking at 20W load or so for a Dothan, right?

At full speed, that's about right, however, Speedstep does cut back on quite a bit of power

ScHpAnKy said:
At full speed, that's about right, however, Speedstep does cut back on quite a bit of power
Even without Speedstep, a Dothan that's idling consumes only about 3W. It has very good leakage characteristics.

well,lower power consuming CPUs can't hurt :p i'm sure it WILL make significant difference for battery times for laptops.

Back