Intel Xeon for a desktop processor?

Pardon my ignorance on this (I'm a relative newbie here), but I was wondering why nobody uses Xeon's in a desktop?
Is it because there mobo, other peripherals that are compatible with it are way too costly, or that specialized software is required for it or something else altogether?

Pardon my ignorance on this (I'm a relative newbie here), but I was wondering why nobody uses Xeon's in a desktop?
Is it because there mobo, other peripherals that are compatible with it are way too costly, or that specialized software is required for it or something else altogether?

there would be no need that i could see for using a single xeon in a desktop. the only reason people used opeterons in a desktop was because they overclocked a lot more in general. Also xeons are more costly and slower then intels quad core desktop range.

there would be no need that i could see for using a single xeon in a desktop. the only reason people used opeterons in a desktop was because they overclocked a lot more in general. Also xeons are more costly and slower then intels quad core desktop range.
For the socket 775 Xeons, there are clock for clock same and when on a desktop board, are the same or lower price. I have the equivilant of a Q6400 in my setup, and it was $50.00 less than the Q6600 or X3220. I had wanted the Q6400, yet it hasn't been released yet.
biostar board -100.00
1gb ram- 30.00
80gb had -50.00
X3210 - 247.00

Than isn't any more expensive that any other.

I have a Socket771 X5355.. Works fine.. Got the proc and mem for free though.. otherwise not worth it.

If the Xeons are cheaper and also supported by software how come they are not as popular as the Core2Duo's or Quads?

If the Xeons are cheaper and also supported by software how come they are not as popular as the Core2Duo's or Quads?

Well a board will run you 300-550, FB-Dimms have come down in price, but your still looking at atleat 60 a gig. Then you need to have the proper chassis for the cooling aspects of the not only the processors, but also the FB-Dimms. And the processors aren't cheaper.

B/c Xeons are no on ppl's minds. It's that simple.

I went X3210 also - saved some cash I made up for in OC.

-bZj

B/c Xeons are no on ppl's minds. It's that simple.

Actually I was wondering why Xeon's are not on people's mind.
Is there something about their technology that makes them "inferior" to the other desktop processors in some way? Or was it bad marketing etc?

It's a gamble if it will work on a non-server board. Rather take a gamble, most will buy what is supported to eliminate headaches. I bought the X3210 for my P5B-plus, and it doesn't work in that board. I had to buy another board (at a gamble) to see if it would work. Searching the internet yielded very little info on people using Xeons. Most of the people who were using the Xeons were using 180.00 Abit boards.

Back