Intel X25-MG2, Newegg auto RMAs?

yeah where do you see that on newegg? there's only 4 intel SSD's on newegg and the g2 is not one of them. and how did you manage to get one this early, test it out, and decide to RMA it already?

yeah where do you see that on newegg? there's only 4 intel SSD's on newegg and the g2 is not one of them. and how did you manage to get one this early, test it out, and decide to RMA it already?

Intel has stopped shipping them, they'll be shipping with the new firmware but it'll take a few days to make it out of the production line at least.

Thanks for the information regarding the recall. I knew of the firmware already but expected to update the drive when it was available.

What has my panties in a bunch is I received my tracking numbers last week, delivery scheduled for 7/29/09, have other dependent hardware on the way and Newegg isn't being helpful keeping me informed as to why and more importantly when can I expect the equipment. The information I have now is I get to play another round of craps to get a pair of drives. The project is now in limbo.

Fortunately this is the only bad experience with Newegg I've had. It's pretty bad but of the tens of thousands I've spent only having one crappy experience is darn good. Hoping for a positive outcome.

Why blame Newegg? It's not their fault... Why don't you call them up and ask for details instead of crying out, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Why blame Newegg? It's not their fault... Why don't you call them up and ask for details instead of crying out, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

You assume too much, like I haven't called when I have. They don't know why or even whom placed the RMA but are looking into it. How's that for information?

You assume too much, like I haven't called when I have. They don't know why or even whom placed the RMA but are looking into it. How's that for information?

Wait, I'm confused. So the sky isn't falling?

I would assume the "automatic RMA" is a result of Intel's announcement of the fatal flaw with the drives in regards to setting a BIOS password for the disk drive.

If you don't think that's a big enough reason for an RMA, then just ignore it...

I received my G2 this morning - I haven't picked up any notification from Newegg yet about an exchange or RMA, although it certainly could be coming.

I likely wouldn't send it back though - I'm happy enough to wait for the firmware update, since I'm using it in a Mac and have absolutely no plans on setting up any sort of HDD password.

I would assume the "automatic RMA" is a result of Intel's announcement of the fatal flaw with the drives in regards to setting a BIOS password for the disk drive.

If you don't think that's a big enough reason for an RMA, then just ignore it...

That's not a choice I can make. The drive either never left Neweggs facility or Newegg contacted UPS/FedEx for return.

FromTheLou said:
Wait, I'm confused. So the sky isn't falling?

... and no the sky was never falling despite the cluckings of the fowl. :D

Newegg auto issued an RMA for the Intel 2nd drives (I've gotten one as well). You'll get the drive delivered as normal, if you'd care to they will take it back free of charge just put the label on it and hand it back to the driver. If you don't care about the recall, you don't have to send it back.

Easy.

Got mine this morning. FedEx sucks... It sat in their hub (about 4 miles from my house) all weekend, and they refused to let me pick it up, even with me offering to pay to do so. That was with paying extra for FedEx priority overnight. Worse, one of their customer service reps was incredibly rude when I politely pressed the issue, and hung up on me.... Grr....

That said, they did have it to me at 10:27am this morning (tracking said I would have it by 10:30, which they just made). Unfortunately, I had movers here all day today packing up my house, so no time to play with it.

I'm on a Bolt Bus up to NYC, and probably won't have time to get it up and running before mid-day tomorrow... That said, my Macbook Pro is ready for the upgrade!

Newegg auto issued an RMA for the Intel 2nd drives (I've gotten one as well). You'll get the drive delivered as normal, if you'd care to they will take it back free of charge just put the label on it and hand it back to the driver. If you don't care about the recall, you don't have to send it back.

Easy.

From the looks of it my drives never left the facility. According to my account info they've already received and approved the RMA drives. Would've rather had the choice of RMA'ing or not since for me the BIOS bug wouldn't have been an issue.

so when did you order this drive? i didn't know it hit newegg's shelves and could be ordered. i guess you guys that got it before they took it off their site got lucky. if it were me, i would just keep the drive for to use and later just flash it when a new firmware is out instead of dealing with the time it takes for the recall and getting a new drive sent

I had the same issue. I called customer service, the first lady I talked to had no idea what was going on with the product. Called again and the 2nd lady I talked to said they got a memo indicating that Intel has asked retailers not to ship the product. I ordered on the 23rd 6pm EST, got a tracking # and it said it shipped this morning around 9am, RMA was automatically submitted around 11am. So I guess if you lucked out and it shipped Friday and you did next day air then you're good since it would already have been on the truck for delivery.

It is a bit disappointing that Newegg did not send out an e-mail explaining why the RMA was automatically issued. I would have also preferred the option of receiving the product, the firmware issue as reported won't effect me, but I understand Newegg is just covering themselves in this scenario.

I also got my tracking number last week and it's scheduled for delivery on 7/29. No word about an RMA though.

What does it say on your tracking number? Mine is half-way across the US now. Does yours not have any tracking info at all?

Kind of funny, I ordered a package from the U.K. with like $4 shipping on the same day I ordered the drive and that package arrived today. You wouldn't think it would take less time for a package to get to California from the U.K. compared to a package from New Jersey. I guess UPS just sucks that bad.

Place my orders on 7.23.09 @ 5:20pm. Tracking status states "Billing Information Received", and "In Transit". The former indicates to me it never left Newegg's facilities while the later reads as presumptuous misinformation.

I originated this thread while waiting on the phone for Newegg's support. My worry at the time was fraudulent activity. Because I considered this to be a purchase that many [H]'ers would likely make I posted here.

Last edited:
yeah I got the auto RMA and newegg's chat support is no help
I did get a $15 coupon though

Place my orders on 7.23.09 @ 5:20pm. Tracking status states "Billing Information Received", and "In Transit". The former indicates to me it never left Newegg's facilities while the later reads as presumptuous misinformation.

I originated this thread while waiting on the phone for Newegg's support. My worry at the time was fraudulent activity. Because I considered this to be a purchase that many [H]'ers would likely make I posted here.

I ordered mine at 7/23/2009 7:58:16 PM and it got shipped out the following day and should arrive tomorrow. I chose the standard 3-day UPS delivery.

What does it say on your tracking number? Mine is half-way across the US now. Does yours not have any tracking info at all?

07/24/2009 23:54:05 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED[M]

Is all that mine says.

The Newegg order status page says:

(Shipped from La Puente, CA)
Shipping Time: 7/27/2009 9:49:40 AM

I am guessing its just a matter of which shipments they were able to recall...

My understanding is that Intel will release firmware so that users can update their own drives. I have not heard anything about an actual recall of drives already shipped. Last I heard Intel was leaving it up to the individual distributors on how to handle that part of it.

Well, looks like mine never left the warehouse. So I won't be able to get it until the new fix is out. If it was actually shipped they can't recall it, but if it was in the warehouse tough luck for you :p

In the same boat here. I understand it's not Newegg's fault that they had to recall the drives, I just wish they would have let me know why.

So, now that we are stuck back in the queue waiting for these drives, does anyone know when the updated drives will be finished?

My buddy and I ordered our 160GB ones on the same day. He got an RMA and his never left the warehouse. Mine will be here tomorrow. Too bad Win7 is not out yet.

My buddy and I ordered our 160GB ones on the same day. He got an RMA and his never left the warehouse. Mine will be here tomorrow. Too bad Win7 is not out yet.

Yours MAY be there tomorrow.
First thing to do is to track your tracking number through fedex.com and not Newegg's site.
That way you get real FEDEX detailed tracking.
Newegg may have issued blanket return-to-sender requests to FEDEX.
If that is the case, whenever your package gets off the next truck, it will automatically be returned to Newegg.
I am not saying that this is what Newegg did, but as a major FEDEX shipper, they could have. It seems that the Newegg phone people have no idea.

Mine never left the warehouse, but my credit card did get charged and has not been credited yet.

The bad deal out of all of this is pricing:
The 160GB was $449, but we have no idea what price it will be when the firmware gets updated and the drives get re-released.

I sent an email to newegg's returns department lamenting about them taking back my order without verifying that I wanted it returned first and to ship it out to me ASAP. I imagine their response will be along the lines of sit and rotate, but we'll see.

I sent an email to newegg's returns department lamenting about them taking back my order without verifying that I wanted it returned first and to ship it out to me ASAP. I imagine their response will be along the lines of sit and rotate, but we'll see.

If you want results you'll have to take it to the next level as I did. First level support, phone or email, demonstrated incompetence that was surprising to me given all the rave comments I've read concerning Newegg's support. They didn't appear to know why, how, or by whom the RMA was invoked nor did they show interest in resolving my questions and concerns. I've been shopping with Newegg since their opening, never needing to contact support, and when I did it was a terrible experience.

After exhausting all support avenues I involved an outside agency. Within a day I got resolution to all my questions and concerns and now feel comfortable shopping with Newegg again. It's up to Newegg now to act upon the items we discussed, tracking and changing the content and processing of RMA notifications. Essentially the customer should never be blindsided, it brings up questions regarding the security of their account.

For those interested here's a summary of what happened from my discussion with Newegg officials:

The RMAs were due to shipping error. It appears they all were generated from the same sorting facility (they did not specify this, I intuit this by comments here and elsewhere). When a shipping error occurs an automatic procedure is invoked which generates the RMA. The RMA notification was an error and should not have been emailed out.

The RMAs were due to shipping error. It appears they all were generated from the same sorting facility (they did not specify this, I intuit this by comments here and elsewhere). When a shipping error occurs an automatic procedure is invoked which generates the RMA. The RMA notification was an error and should not have been emailed out.

The first person I talked to on the phone at Newegg tried to tell me the exact same thing. I've placed 34 orders with them since 2001 (yeah I actually checked, I think I buy too much parts, but I'm sure many folks here have bought more :)), and I've never had a shipping issue with them before. I also buy tons of stuff from Amazon, and never had an issue either, so when Newegg told me this I was very skeptical. I'm sure what the person you spoke to is true in general, but its not the case with these drives.

I love Newegg, and I'll continue purchasing from them despite their poor handling of this situation, but they just don't seem to have very good internal communications regarding this issue.

Newegg now has an ETA for stock on the product page - 08/28/2009.

...The RMA notification was an error and should not have been emailed out.

They had little choice.
They had already billed all of the credit cards for the purchases,
and it was too late to void these transactions after the sale.

Their only option was to create these RMA's "on paper",
so that they could show the credits back to the credit cards.

Otherwise, people would see that their cards had been "dinged"
without proper explanation.

They should never have charged all the credit cards before shipping.
If they had kept from doing that, nobody would have known anything.

That's not a very good haiku aamsel ;)

Newegg has yet to respond to me email. I'll give them until noon tomorrow then I'll call.

They had little choice.

You're correct in that they had no choice at the time. The procedure is automatic: a product returned to shipping, regardless of reason, generates an automatic RMA and subsequent RMA notification. This procedure is logical for the scenario where the customer refuses shipment. Other scenarios, such as this one, it generates confusion.

The problem is proper content of the the notification explaining to your customer what transpired. An RMA stating "we have accepted your RMA request", when the customer never requested it is a problem. It's also a problem when the support staff don't know or fail to communicate the procedure triggering the erroneous notification.

Otherwise, people would see that their cards had been "dinged" without proper explanation.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Newegg sends out an "Order Confirmation" and "Payment Charged" notifications. The Newegg account holder is given a proper explanation of the charge. However with a compromised account all bets are off.

They should never have charged all the credit cards before shipping.
If they had kept from doing that, nobody would have known anything.

This is a solution to a different problem. The solution presented is akin to resolving a race condition, basically an atomic action where the charge and transfer of package to shipping provider occur simultaneously (or at least appear so from any outside observer). This does not resolve the problem. Even if one were to exchange "shipping provider" with "customer" it does not resolve the problem.

The problem is the content of the notification.

Newegg said:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Upon reviewing your account, we show the package has been delivered back to us. We have refunded you in the amount of $449.99 back to your source of payment on 7/28. Please allow 3-5 business days for the funds to be posted into your account. We apologize if this inconveniences you in any way. Since you are our valued customer, we are willing to offer you a credit in the amount of $10.00 upon your next order. Please reply to this email with your new order # after the delivery and then we will be able to process the credit for you. We show the estimated date of the availability for this item is 8/28. If the item is still needed, please purchase it after it is in stock.

Wow, a whole $10. I'd rather have the drive delivered. I'm going to reply back and press them for the drive instead of 10 bucks.

Wow, a whole $10. I'd rather have the drive delivered. I'm going to reply back and press them for the drive instead of 10 bucks.

You gotta hand it out to Newegg, though, at least they gave you some kind of compensation for the trouble. :)

Dell on the other hand would simply cancel all the orders and state "have a nice day!" :rolleyes:

I had wanted the drive to upgrade my netbook before my vacation on August 13th. Since the drive is so fast I won't be waiting around for the harddrive to do it's thing and wasting battery life. August 28th is going to be a bit late for that :)

Augh, I've finally got the cash for an SSD, the G2s come out, and now I can't buy one :( I'm half-tempted to buy a 120GB OCZ Vertex Turbo, but I figure it's worth the wait for the Intel.

Better than nothing, and it's not Newegg's fault the drives are being recalled/faulty. They have no obligation or real reason do give customers anything.

Back