Intel x25-m SSD

Tsuyashu

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I bought the intel x25-m ssd from bf like many of you guys, however I have 0 ssd knowledge not to mention I need to do a fresh install of my windows 7 pro onto the ssd.

Should I know anything before I begin? I would really hate to mess up while I am setting this thing up.

I did some fair amount of research but it is all jumbled in my eyes.

1. AHCI or IDE? I use a EVGA x58 SLI LE with a i7-920.
I see heated debates over which gives the best performance and what not, and I still cannot figure out wth to use lol..

2. Supposedly Windows 7 has a smart feature to disable all those nasty things that reduce the ssd performance right? Do I need to do anything manually to further safeguard my ssd life force?

3. Is installing windows 7 onto the ssd any different then installing on a regular hdd? I hear people say to disable your other hdds in your computer and just have the sdd plugged in while you do the windows 7 installation and then plug the hdds after installation?

4. Firmware? Do I need to do update the ssd? I saw this link..
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

5. Some other links I saw people posting.. - Recommended to get these?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel raid.htm

4. TIPS, ADVICE, anything is appreciated. I want this to be as smooth as possible.

1. AHCI

2. Pretty much yeah, I slowed my speeds by tweaking with windows and had to undo them so I would just leave them alone. Download the intel toolbox and thats all you really need.

3. Exactly the same, and I dont see why you should disable your other hard drives first, where did you read that?

4. No you dont have to

5. Yes both

6. Its not really that hard, just go for it. If you have install windows on hard drives before you are not going to mess anything up.

You got the 120gb one from newegg right? Just got mine up and running the other day, you are going to love it!

Yeah I finally decided to jump onto the world of SSDs, back when I was jobless and in college SSDs just seemed out of reach(as poor as I was). Now with a job with OT 1.5x, it just seems logical I go a buy it :p

You pretty much answered everything I had doubts about, but concerning the firmware. Do I really not need to do anything?

Intel SSD Toolbox or something makes sure your Win7 shit is right

Holla back with benchmarks

I don't have X-25M IDE vs. AHCI screenshots, but I've had similar results with them on AHCI vs. IDE.

Post your results here if you can.

G.Skill Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-120GBP2 (Sandforce-1200) AHCI
PhoenixPro-sandforce.PNG

G.Skill Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-120GBP2 (Sandforce-1200) IDE
G.Skill%20PhoenixPro%20SF1200%20IDE.PNG

Short answer is you don't need to do anything special when installing and using Windows 7. Windows 7 is SSD aware and will disable defrag and superfetch for any drive which it recognizes as solid state. Partitions created by Windows 7 are also aligned properly for optimal performance with an SSD.

Latest firmware is 02HD and your drive should have shipped with that, it will say on the drive label. Really there isn't any G2 Intel SSD that has shipped with older firmware in the last 8 months or so... you should be good to go.

Hmm,,,I installed my ssd into my system and I am trying to install windows 7 onto the ssd, however I cant locate the ssd when its asking where I want to install it.

Advice anyone?

and what? o.o I am using ahci now and have the 1st boot as the CD then 2nd my hard disk, I have the ssd on sata 0 and my hdd on sata 1. Boot priority is obviously the ssd 1st.

Though when In get into the installation, it only gives me the hdd as the only available location to install. No SDD in sight :(

I'm thinking about getting an SSD to replace my 36Gb raptor either the ocz vertex 2 60gb or Intel 80gb x25 M and am curious besides capacity which has better performance and if the brand makes a difference when installing.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited:
raw performance is usually the ocz vs the intel. in terms of reliability, intels are known to be more reliable then most, but my vertex 2 50g hasnt had any lasting issues in a year now. it comes down to preference of raw speed or likely reliability. as to installing, no, manf wont make a difference ... they install just the same regardless of brand.

I'm also installing my first SSD atm, I got the Intel 120gb off newegg too.

When you guys install Windows, do you move your Users folder? ProgramData?

I'd like to conserve space, but I'm unsure if i would compromise the speed increase from going solid state if I put AppData or ProgramData on an HDD.

installing mine as well.

Anyone putting their favorite steam games on the ssd and all the rest on the hdd? Or know how?

I'm also installing my first SSD atm, I got the Intel 120gb off newegg too.

When you guys install Windows, do you move your Users folder? ProgramData?

I'd like to conserve space, but I'm unsure if i would compromise the speed increase from going solid state if I put AppData or ProgramData on an HDD.

installing mine as well.

Anyone putting their favorite steam games on the ssd and all the rest on the hdd? Or know how?

I would recommend leaving the AppData and ProgramData on the SSD - otherwise you are comprimising the speed whenever the program has to reach out for those files. If you have a lot of pictures, or music, or vides, I'd move those off the SSD (I put mine in Public folders and just moved that).

I leave my favorite games on the SSD and move the rest to a HDD using symbolic links. There is a good how-to thread here somewhere - search for symbolic links or symlinks and you should find it. Works a treat.

Back